Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
Did you know that Southeast Missouri was hosting Eastern Kentucky today in Ohio Valley Conference play?
Don’t worry if you didn’t. I cover the sport and still briefly forgot that the Colonels and Redhawks were getting after it today.
There were a bunch of huge dunks on Saturday. NC-State’s Rodney Purvis had an incredible putback dunk against Miami. North Dakota’s Troy Huff caught and finished an incredible one-handed ally-oop against Idaho State. Victor Oladipo nearly demolished Assembly Hall with a powerful one-handed slam against Michigan.
Those lucky enough to watch and/or attend the game today, all 2,922 of them, we’re witnesses to the best out-of-bounds ally-oop of the season.
What you just watched is the best dunk of Saturday.
Lewis doesn’t just punk one defender. He punks two. First up was guard Nick Niemczyk, who gets caught trying to peek at the entry pass. That’s what we call “ball-watching” kiddos, and it’s an easy way to end up on the bench and on the wrong end of a highlight reel.
Then there’s big-man Nino Johnson. He too was watching the entry pass, and failed to see the 6-foot-4 junior guard barreling into the paint. By the time Johnson turned around, it was too late.
Lewis used Johnson’s face as a springboard and slammed home the most emphatic field goal of the day.
(Video via Eastern Kentucky Athletics)
Marcus Lewis finished with 10 points, none bigger than this fantastical ally-oop jam. With the 81-72 victory, the Colonels move to 17-6 overall and 7-3 in the OVC. More importantly, it halted a two-game losing streak.
But again, that dunk. WOW.
Watch it again. And again. And five times after that.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4