Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
Did you know that Southeast Missouri was hosting Eastern Kentucky today in Ohio Valley Conference play?
Don’t worry if you didn’t. I cover the sport and still briefly forgot that the Colonels and Redhawks were getting after it today.
There were a bunch of huge dunks on Saturday. NC-State’s Rodney Purvis had an incredible putback dunk against Miami. North Dakota’s Troy Huff caught and finished an incredible one-handed ally-oop against Idaho State. Victor Oladipo nearly demolished Assembly Hall with a powerful one-handed slam against Michigan.
Those lucky enough to watch and/or attend the game today, all 2,922 of them, we’re witnesses to the best out-of-bounds ally-oop of the season.
What you just watched is the best dunk of Saturday.
Lewis doesn’t just punk one defender. He punks two. First up was guard Nick Niemczyk, who gets caught trying to peek at the entry pass. That’s what we call “ball-watching” kiddos, and it’s an easy way to end up on the bench and on the wrong end of a highlight reel.
Then there’s big-man Nino Johnson. He too was watching the entry pass, and failed to see the 6-foot-4 junior guard barreling into the paint. By the time Johnson turned around, it was too late.
Lewis used Johnson’s face as a springboard and slammed home the most emphatic field goal of the day.
(Video via Eastern Kentucky Athletics)
Marcus Lewis finished with 10 points, none bigger than this fantastical ally-oop jam. With the 81-72 victory, the Colonels move to 17-6 overall and 7-3 in the OVC. More importantly, it halted a two-game losing streak.
But again, that dunk. WOW.
Watch it again. And again. And five times after that.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)