Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
Did you know that Southeast Missouri was hosting Eastern Kentucky today in Ohio Valley Conference play?
Don’t worry if you didn’t. I cover the sport and still briefly forgot that the Colonels and Redhawks were getting after it today.
There were a bunch of huge dunks on Saturday. NC-State’s Rodney Purvis had an incredible putback dunk against Miami. North Dakota’s Troy Huff caught and finished an incredible one-handed ally-oop against Idaho State. Victor Oladipo nearly demolished Assembly Hall with a powerful one-handed slam against Michigan.
Those lucky enough to watch and/or attend the game today, all 2,922 of them, we’re witnesses to the best out-of-bounds ally-oop of the season.
What you just watched is the best dunk of Saturday.
Lewis doesn’t just punk one defender. He punks two. First up was guard Nick Niemczyk, who gets caught trying to peek at the entry pass. That’s what we call “ball-watching” kiddos, and it’s an easy way to end up on the bench and on the wrong end of a highlight reel.
Then there’s big-man Nino Johnson. He too was watching the entry pass, and failed to see the 6-foot-4 junior guard barreling into the paint. By the time Johnson turned around, it was too late.
Lewis used Johnson’s face as a springboard and slammed home the most emphatic field goal of the day.
(Video via Eastern Kentucky Athletics)
Marcus Lewis finished with 10 points, none bigger than this fantastical ally-oop jam. With the 81-72 victory, the Colonels move to 17-6 overall and 7-3 in the OVC. More importantly, it halted a two-game losing streak.
But again, that dunk. WOW.
Watch it again. And again. And five times after that.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)