Feb 2, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Game of the Day
North Carolina 72, Virginia Tech 60 (OT): Earlier this week, I hinted that perhaps Virginia Tech could win a few more games if Erick Green got more help from his friends. Maybe not. Four Tech players were in double figures, and Green (16 points) contributed his second-lowest point total of the season. That was enough to get the Hokies to overtime, but Marcus Paige scored eight of his 19 points in the extra period. James Michael McAdoo led all scorers with 22 points, and chipped in 10 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the season.
Murray State 75, Austin Peay 68 (OT): The Peay had Murray State and all-everything Isaiah Canaan on the ropes for much of this one, but couldn’t hash things out in OT. Canaan ended up with 19 points, 8 rebounds and three assists in the full 45 minutes of play, and the Racers stayed atop the OVC’s West division with a 6-2 league record.
Notre Dame 79, DePaul 71 (OT): Jack Cooley went for 26 and 16 in this one, but the Blue Demons forced OT, much to their own eventual chagrin. DePaul scored all of one point in the extra period.
Pittsburgh 65, No. 6 Syracuse 55: I was going to make this one the Game of the Day so far, but the Twitterati informed me it just wasn’t that big of a deal.
.@cbtonnbc how is that an upset if Pitt was favored by 4 points?
— Bruce Friedman (@NotTheFakeBruce) February 2, 2013
— Kyle Shepard (@kshep27) February 2, 2013
And it didn’t even go to overtime. So, meh, obviously.
No. 5 Duke 79, Florida State 60: Duke might not be the consensus best team in the nation, or even the ACC, but they took care of Florida State easily, with four players in double figures, led by 21 points from Seth Curry.
Games of the Night
6:00 Kansas State/Oklahoma (ESPN2)
6:00 Kentucky/Texas A&M (ESPN)
6:00 Temple/St. Joe’s (CBS Sports)
7:00 Ole Miss/Florida (ESPNU)
7:00 Ohio State/Nebraska (Big Ten)
7:00 Wyoming/Colorado State
8:00 Nevada/New Mexico (NBC Sports)
8:00 Baylor/Iowa State (ESPN2)
9:00 Michigan/Indiana (ESPN)
9:00 UNLV/Boise State
9:00 Arizona State/Washington (ESPNU)
10:00 Arizona/Washington State (Pac-12)
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)