Feb 2, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Game of the Day
North Carolina 72, Virginia Tech 60 (OT): Earlier this week, I hinted that perhaps Virginia Tech could win a few more games if Erick Green got more help from his friends. Maybe not. Four Tech players were in double figures, and Green (16 points) contributed his second-lowest point total of the season. That was enough to get the Hokies to overtime, but Marcus Paige scored eight of his 19 points in the extra period. James Michael McAdoo led all scorers with 22 points, and chipped in 10 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the season.
Murray State 75, Austin Peay 68 (OT): The Peay had Murray State and all-everything Isaiah Canaan on the ropes for much of this one, but couldn’t hash things out in OT. Canaan ended up with 19 points, 8 rebounds and three assists in the full 45 minutes of play, and the Racers stayed atop the OVC’s West division with a 6-2 league record.
Notre Dame 79, DePaul 71 (OT): Jack Cooley went for 26 and 16 in this one, but the Blue Demons forced OT, much to their own eventual chagrin. DePaul scored all of one point in the extra period.
Pittsburgh 65, No. 6 Syracuse 55: I was going to make this one the Game of the Day so far, but the Twitterati informed me it just wasn’t that big of a deal.
.@cbtonnbc how is that an upset if Pitt was favored by 4 points?
— Bruce Friedman (@NotTheFakeBruce) February 2, 2013
— Kyle Shepard (@kshep27) February 2, 2013
And it didn’t even go to overtime. So, meh, obviously.
No. 5 Duke 79, Florida State 60: Duke might not be the consensus best team in the nation, or even the ACC, but they took care of Florida State easily, with four players in double figures, led by 21 points from Seth Curry.
Games of the Night
6:00 Kansas State/Oklahoma (ESPN2)
6:00 Kentucky/Texas A&M (ESPN)
6:00 Temple/St. Joe’s (CBS Sports)
7:00 Ole Miss/Florida (ESPNU)
7:00 Ohio State/Nebraska (Big Ten)
7:00 Wyoming/Colorado State
8:00 Nevada/New Mexico (NBC Sports)
8:00 Baylor/Iowa State (ESPN2)
9:00 Michigan/Indiana (ESPN)
9:00 UNLV/Boise State
9:00 Arizona State/Washington (ESPNU)
10:00 Arizona/Washington State (Pac-12)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)