Feb 2, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
The Missouri Valley has not been kind to No. 15 Wichita State this week.
Four days after falling to a pesky Indiana State team, the Shockers lost on the road to unranked Northern Iowa, 57-52, Saturday at McLeod Center in Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Carl Hall was the lone bright spot for Wichita State Saturday, going 8-of-13 from the field for 20 points and five rebounds.
His steal and layup with 1:17 to play cut the Shocker deficit to two points, 52-50. He also blocked a shot with under a minute to play and Wichita State down two, 54-52, but the Shockers were not able to capitalize on the offensive end and tie the game.
Northern Iowa allowed Wichita State to hang around in the final minutes by going 6-of-10 from the free throw line in the final 2:47, but the Panther defense locked up on the game’s final possession to secure the win.
On that final possession, Wichita State guard Malcolm Armstead was bothered by pressure and dribbled the ball off his foot and out of bounds. It was his fourth turnover of the game.
Aside from Hall, Wichita State was 13-of-39 from the field.
Down the stretch, Wichita State tried to work the ball to forward Cleanthony Early on the block with limited success. He was called for a reach-in foul in the backcourt with 2:47 to play and fouled out, leaving the Shockers without his post presence down the stretch. He finished with 10 points and five rebounds.
For as strong a defensive team as Wichita State is, Northern Iowa matched or exceeding the pressure on that end of the floor Saturday. The Panthers held WSU to 40 percent shooting.
The Missouri Valley Conference race will continue to be one of the most intriguing heading into the final month of the regular season. Wichita State falls to 8-3, but remains in second behind Creighton (9-2) and just ahead of Indiana State (7-3).
Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
They are so short-handed that even the head coach is participating in practices.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Treadwell was accused of assaulting a member of the women’s team.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell broke his right hand in a win over DePaul.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Shockers miss Cleanthony Early, but how much will this hurt them in the long-term?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
This is one of the most surprising posterizeds we’ve seen this year.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Michigan State lost a lot of talent and experience from a title contender last season, but they’ve remained a top 25 team thanks to tremendous three-point shooting.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Who doesn’t love buzzer-beaters, especially when they’re from half court?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
That’s one heartbreaking way to lose a game.
Late Night Snacks: Wichita State mounts furious comeback on Alabama, Myles Turner has big night for Texas
Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Myles Turner has a monster night.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
Wichita State found a way to win in a thrilling home game against Alabama.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Creighton will be without a reserve guard for an undetermined period of time.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Duke will add the son of a former NBA legend to its roster in 2015-16.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Houston should get a major boost to its lineup this weekend with the return of its starting point guard.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Iowa State is losing a guard that didn’t fit into the rotation.
Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Texas is already without Isaiah Taylor and lost more guard depth on Tuesday.
Dec 16, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
But there are a couple of good, off-the-radar games.
Dec 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
Only one of the ten are potential season-changers.
Dec 16, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
Four new faces in the top ten and two new players in the top five. The tide’s are a-turning.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:06 AM EST
This? This is why Huggy Bear is the absolute best.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
Coach K was not happy with a uninspiring win over Elon.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)