Feb 2, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
On Saturday, Marshall Henderson played just about his best game of the season, hitting for 25 points on 8-16 shooting — and 7-11 from beyond the arc — as Ole Miss had the best offensive performance that anyone in the SEC has had against Florida this season.
They still lost by 14 points in a game that was more or less decided by the time 10 minutes had run off the clock.
No. 4 Florida beat the No. 16 Rebels 78-64 on Saturday, the first time that anyone has scored more than 52 points against the Gators in SEC play, extending their lead in the SEC to two games and all but assuring themselves the SEC regular season title.
Because who is going to beat the Gators in that conference this year?
And yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds considering the fact that they still have two games against Kentucky, two games against Arkansas, a trip to Tennessee and a trip to Missouri. The Gators haven’t gotten to the meat of their league schedule just yet, so that probably is playing some role in just how bad the beatdowns have been this season.
But they also beat Missouri by 31, in addition to the 14 point win over Ole Miss. There are a lot of people that would argue Florida is putting to shame the argument that there are no great teams in college basketball this season. Their defense is as good as we have seen in the Kenpom era, and they are a nightmare to try and score on regardless of whether or not they are in man-to-man, a zone or pressing.
And that’s before we talk about just how good this team is on the offensive end of the floor. They are balanced, they have size and, when Mike Rosario and Kenny Boynton are hitting their shots, they are a ton of shooters around the perimeter.
Oh, and I should I mention they are still a bit beat up right now?
This team is mowing down every that steps into their path right now.
They are doing to the SEC what Kentucky did to the conference last season.
And on a day where Kansas loses and the highlight of the season is the battle for the top of the Big Ten, that’s a fact that simply cannot get swept under the rug.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)