Feb 2, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
On Saturday, Marshall Henderson played just about his best game of the season, hitting for 25 points on 8-16 shooting — and 7-11 from beyond the arc — as Ole Miss had the best offensive performance that anyone in the SEC has had against Florida this season.
They still lost by 14 points in a game that was more or less decided by the time 10 minutes had run off the clock.
No. 4 Florida beat the No. 16 Rebels 78-64 on Saturday, the first time that anyone has scored more than 52 points against the Gators in SEC play, extending their lead in the SEC to two games and all but assuring themselves the SEC regular season title.
Because who is going to beat the Gators in that conference this year?
And yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds considering the fact that they still have two games against Kentucky, two games against Arkansas, a trip to Tennessee and a trip to Missouri. The Gators haven’t gotten to the meat of their league schedule just yet, so that probably is playing some role in just how bad the beatdowns have been this season.
But they also beat Missouri by 31, in addition to the 14 point win over Ole Miss. There are a lot of people that would argue Florida is putting to shame the argument that there are no great teams in college basketball this season. Their defense is as good as we have seen in the Kenpom era, and they are a nightmare to try and score on regardless of whether or not they are in man-to-man, a zone or pressing.
And that’s before we talk about just how good this team is on the offensive end of the floor. They are balanced, they have size and, when Mike Rosario and Kenny Boynton are hitting their shots, they are a ton of shooters around the perimeter.
Oh, and I should I mention they are still a bit beat up right now?
This team is mowing down every that steps into their path right now.
They are doing to the SEC what Kentucky did to the conference last season.
And on a day where Kansas loses and the highlight of the season is the battle for the top of the Big Ten, that’s a fact that simply cannot get swept under the rug.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)