Feb 2, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
The Duke Blue Devils moved to 6-2 in the ACC despite a lackluster showing from Marshall Plumlee, downing Florida State 79 to 60 in Tallahassee.The Blue Devils have lost to the Seminoles in each of the past two seasons, so this year’s win was likely a bit of a relief.
Both teams were playing without key pieces. Duke suffered their first two losses of the season with senior forward Ryan Kelly on the bench with an injury, and the Seminoles have struggled to rebound the ball without 6’8″ junior Terrance Shannon, who injured his neck at Virginia.
Seth Curry took the lead for Duke, scoring 21 points on the strength of a 7-11 shooting day. Quinn Cook had the best all-around game with 18 points, 5 boards and 6 assists, and freshman teammates Rasheed Sulaimon (14 points) and Amile Jefferson (11) chipped in double-figure days as well. Mason Plumlee, ordinarily a double-double man, had just eight points and five rebounds, but blocked three FSU shots in limited action.
Florida State has struggled to score inside all season long, but this game left plenty of blame to go around. Preseason favorite Michael Snaer scored just seven points on the day and endured a 3-13 shooting performance but didn’t get much help from his fellow upperclassmen. Freshman Aaron Thomas poured in 14 to lead all ‘Noles scorers, and fellow first-year Devon Bookert totaled nine points in 24 minutes of play.
Until two weeks ago, Duke looked like a juggernaut rolling toward the ACC title, but losses to N.C. State and No. 25 Miami have left the Hurricanes in the driver’s seat instead. In that context, an ACC road win, even over an obviously discombobulated team like the Seminoles, has real value. The Blue Devils will host No. 19 N.C. State on Thursday, in hopes of staying one step ahead of 5-2 Virginia, who play at Georgia Tech on Sunday.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)