Feb 3, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9, 190-pound native of Queens, N.Y., has committed to coach Mick Cronin and the Cincinnati Bearcats, he announced via a series of pictures on his Tumblr page Sunday.
Lawrence chose Cincinnati over St. John’s and UNLV. He becomes the fifth commit in Cincinnati’s 2013 class, joining Kevin Johnson, Troy Caupain, DeShaun Morman, and Jaramee Strickland.
Over the past year, Lawrence has expanded his game out toward the perimeter and become a legitimate threat out to the three-point line. He is long and athletic, which allows him to get to the basket, rebound, and be an active defender. His performance on the spring AAU circuit turned heads and showed the expansion of his offensive game.
The last Top 100 recruit from New York City that Cronin was able to pull to Cincinnati was Lance Stephenson, who played one year with the Bearcats before jumping to the NBA.
Both St. John’s and UNLV had bothed keyed in on Lawrence, who was to be the centerpiece of each’s programs transition-style offense. UNLV has three commits in the Class of 2013, while St. John’s has still yet to secure any commitments.
To see video highlights of Lawrence, click here.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)