Feb 3, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Ed Cooley is building a solid foundation for future success at Providence. He had one of the top recruiting classes in the country last year. His program is moves to a more stable, basketball-only conference soon. But he is running into two major bumps in the road that could set the progress back significantly, depending on how things play out.
As was reported by Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal, redshirt freshman Ricky Ledo is weighing the possibility of not returning to Providence next season. Ledo, a Top 25 recruit from the Class of 2012, was ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA and forced out of games this season. Instead of returning in 2013-14, Ledo could enter the NBA Draft.
“My status is unclear,” Ledo said, as reported by the Journal. “College is a great preparation for life and college has already taught me a lot. I’m looking at every option, both staying in school and looking at the draft.”
Draft Express projects Ledo would not be selected in this year’s NBA Draft, but could go in the late first round of the 2014 draft.
We have seen two key players return to school after being ruled partial qualifiers, Arizona State’s Jahii Carson and Kansas’ Ben McLemore, both of whom are now on track to win Rookie of the Year in their respective conferences.
As the Ledo news came down, Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com reported that Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson is “off the team” to deal with personal issues. Johnson came to Providence mid-way through last season after being asked to leave the Wildcats.
Johnson, a 6-10 native of New York, had been averaging 3.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for the Friars. He did not play in Providence’s overtime loss to Connecticut on Thursday.
Providence returns to the floor against Villanova on Sunday at noon ET.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board
Sep 15, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Brown is a 6-foot-7 powerhouse that has drawn some comparisons to Stanley Johnson.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
It’s the second recruit UCLA has lost this week.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The NCAA is trying to improve their ability to apply common sense to rules interpretations.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
They’ll be out there for six full days. To get tickets to watch a practice.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Avery Harriman continues his third battle with leukemia.
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and a decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 3
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (3)