Feb 3, 2013, 1:37 AM EDT
Michigan has nothing to worry about after losing to Indiana on Saturday.
There is no shame in losing at Assembly Hall to this Indiana team. None whatsoever, especially considering that Michigan was able to bounce back after the Hoosiers played the most impressive five minutes we’ve seen this season to open the game.
The Wolverines got hit squarely in the jaw, as the Hoosiers jumped out to leads of 18-7 and 26-11 before Michigan finally woke up.
And they still bounced back. They cut the lead to four at the half on a ridiculous, 25-foot stepback three from Trey Burke. They tied the game early in the second half. There’s something to be said about withstanding, and coming back from, a barrage like that in an environment like that against a team like that.
Trey Burke finished with 25 points and eights assists while Tim Hardaway Jr. added 18. Mitch McGary played as well as he has all season long, finishing with 10 points and seven boards in 28 very active minutes.
But Michigan got almost nothing out of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III. Those two combined to go 4-16 from the floor and 1-5 from three, with the ‘one’ being a triple from Stauskas in the final minute when they game was already decided. As a result, as impressive as the numbers that Burke put up were, they were not quite indicative of how well he played; by the end of the game, he was forcing quite a bit as he was the only player on the Michigan team that was producing.
It’s stating the obvious here, but Michigan cannot win consistently against quality competition without getting anything from those two.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)