Feb 4, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Player of the Week: Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
There wasn’t even any consideration that went into this decision. Smart was the easy choice after averaging 23.0 points, 7.5 boards, 5.0 assists and 4.5 steals as the Cowboys knocked off Iowa State at home and then went into Lawrence and beat the Jayhawks.
And it was more than the simple fact that Smart put up great numbers in two big wins for the Pokes. He made the plays down the stretch that won the games. Against Iowa State, Smart made the game-winning bucket with 2.9 seconds left on the clock. And in the win over Kansas, Smart took over down the stretch. The two most notable plays were the two buckets that he got off of offensive rebounds in the final four minutes, extending Oklahoma State’s lead to seven points with less than two minutes left. But he iced the win when he stripped Elijah Johnson up three on the game’s final possession.
The Pokes are now 15-5 overall and 5-3 in the Big 12.
The All-They-Were-Good-Too Team:
- G: Shane Larkin, Miami: Larkin went for 25 points on 9-14 shooting, three assists, three steals and two blocks on Wednesday as Miami notched a come-from-behind win at Virginia Tech. He followed that up with 13 points and five assists in the Hurricane’s win at NC State on Saturday. Miami is still undefeated in ACC play.
- G: Keith Appling, Michigan State: Michigan State came from 10 points down at halftime to beat Illinois on Thursday night, and Appling was the biggest reason why. He finished with 24 points, eight boards and seven assists, including a number of huge baskets down the stretch as the Spartans clung to a one-possession lead.
- G: RJ Hunter, Georgia State: Hunter is making a case for being the nation’s most under-appreciated freshman. He had 27 points and five assists as GSU handed Northeastern their first loss in CAA play on Wednesday, following that up with a 38-point performance in a win over Old Dominion on Saturday. Head coach Ron Hunter’s son was 15-26 from three on the week, including 10-15 on Saturday.
- F: Josh Huestis, Stanford: The Cardinal swept the Oregon schools at home this week, moving to 5-4 in Pac-12 play and keeping themselves within striking distance of first place in the conference. Huestis was the best player on the floor for Stanford, finishing with averages of 15.o points, 13.o boards and 2.5 blocks.
- C: Nerlens Noel, Kentucky: Noel had 19 points, 14 boards and a pair of blocks in Saturday’s 62-58 overtime win over Texas A&M. That followed up one of the most-dazzling defensive performances we’ve seen this season in Kentucky’s win at Ole Miss. Noel finished with 12 blocks in that game, including five game-changing blocks in the final minutes.
- Bench: Alex Abreu (Akron), Jack Cooley (Notre Dame), Hugh Greenwood (New Mexico), Jarrod Shaw (Utah State)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Auburn made a recruiting move on Friday night with the addition of Danjel Purifoy.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Missouri has a fair amount of quality teams on its non-conference schedule.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
An Oregon State incoming guard is improving in the hospital after collapsing earlier in the week.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
College Basketball Talk’s recruiting column explores the week’s topics.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson is now officially a Tennessee Volunteer.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Aaron Brown averaged 9.9 points per game and shot 39 percent from three last season, and he’ll be eligible to play immediately.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Having stated their intention of appealing the ruling in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit, the NCAA filed a notice of appeal on Thursday.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Five-star center Tyler Davis becomes Texas A&M’s first commitment, and he’s an important addition for Billy Kennedy.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Austin Hatch, who saw his first action in a Michigan uniform on Saturday, discussed his return to the court on The Today Show.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Upon completion, Hinkle Fieldhouse will have a brand new look while preserving the building’s storied past.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)