Feb 4, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
It was a random play that was barely even noticed by those watching the game, but thanks to a mention from ESPN color commentator Dan Dakich, the interwebs blew up on Monday morning with speculation that Glenn Robinson III had punched Jordy Hulls in the face on Saturday night.
“Just saw Robinson’s punch of Jordan Hulls,” Dakich tweeted. “Has to be suspended.”
I’ll just go right ahead and disagree with him.
I’m assuming the angle that Dakich saw was from the baseline, and I’ll admit, that looks bad. But when you look at it from the side angle, it’s clear that there was no intent involved:
Robinson had no idea Hulls was behind him and was swinging his arm to try and get it free from Watford, who had it wrapped up as he tried to box Robinson out.
The refs reviewed the video during the game, although it didn’t get much discussion on the broadcast. No flagrant foul was given. Robinson even tweeted about the uproar:
Just want to make it CLEAR that i did not purposely punch Hulls in the face, my arm was pushed causing the incident.
— Glenn Robinson III (@GRob_1) February 4, 2013
Nothing to see here folks.
(GIF via @WorldofIsaac, from ESPN’s broadcast of the game)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)