Feb 4, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
It was a random play that was barely even noticed by those watching the game, but thanks to a mention from ESPN color commentator Dan Dakich, the interwebs blew up on Monday morning with speculation that Glenn Robinson III had punched Jordy Hulls in the face on Saturday night.
“Just saw Robinson’s punch of Jordan Hulls,” Dakich tweeted. “Has to be suspended.”
I’ll just go right ahead and disagree with him.
I’m assuming the angle that Dakich saw was from the baseline, and I’ll admit, that looks bad. But when you look at it from the side angle, it’s clear that there was no intent involved:
Robinson had no idea Hulls was behind him and was swinging his arm to try and get it free from Watford, who had it wrapped up as he tried to box Robinson out.
The refs reviewed the video during the game, although it didn’t get much discussion on the broadcast. No flagrant foul was given. Robinson even tweeted about the uproar:
Just want to make it CLEAR that i did not purposely punch Hulls in the face, my arm was pushed causing the incident.
— Glenn Robinson III (@GRob_1) February 4, 2013
Nothing to see here folks.
(GIF via @WorldofIsaac, from ESPN’s broadcast of the game)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)