Feb 4, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Things aren’t getting any easier for P.J. Hairston.
After suffering a concussion last week against Boston College, Hairston is now doubtful for North Carolina’s game against Wake Forest after coming down with the flu.
Hairston is averaging 12.4 points and 3.8 rebounds per game for the 15-6 Tar Heels this season. He’s already missed one game, North Carolina’s win over Virginia Tech.
“Yesterday, when I left practice, I thought that he would practice [today],’’ coach Roy Williams said during the ACC’s morning conference call. “But last night, he got a little flu bug, and he [was] throwing up last night and this morning, and they’ve got him over at the hospital right now with some IVs, and I think that will postpone some of the things that he can do today in practice. I’m not saying that he’s not going to play, but I think it’s highly unlikely.”
Until the concussion, Hairston had been having as solid a stretch as any player in the Atlantic Coast Conference, going for 15 points against Georgia Tech, 19 against North Carolina State and 12 against B.C. until he went down.
This season, the Tar Heels can ill-afford injuries, they’re not deep or talented enough. Yet they’ve still had to battle them. If there’s a team that Hairston can afford to sit out against, it’s the Demon Deacons. They’re guard-oriented are extremely reliant on Travis McKie and C.J. Harris.
Still, I’m sure Ol’ Roy would like for Hairston to slip into a plastic bubble for a week or so to avoid further injury or illness. May I suggest a hyperboaric chamber?
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)