Feb 4, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
Things aren’t getting any easier for P.J. Hairston.
After suffering a concussion last week against Boston College, Hairston is now doubtful for North Carolina’s game against Wake Forest after coming down with the flu.
Hairston is averaging 12.4 points and 3.8 rebounds per game for the 15-6 Tar Heels this season. He’s already missed one game, North Carolina’s win over Virginia Tech.
“Yesterday, when I left practice, I thought that he would practice [today],’’ coach Roy Williams said during the ACC’s morning conference call. “But last night, he got a little flu bug, and he [was] throwing up last night and this morning, and they’ve got him over at the hospital right now with some IVs, and I think that will postpone some of the things that he can do today in practice. I’m not saying that he’s not going to play, but I think it’s highly unlikely.”
Until the concussion, Hairston had been having as solid a stretch as any player in the Atlantic Coast Conference, going for 15 points against Georgia Tech, 19 against North Carolina State and 12 against B.C. until he went down.
This season, the Tar Heels can ill-afford injuries, they’re not deep or talented enough. Yet they’ve still had to battle them. If there’s a team that Hairston can afford to sit out against, it’s the Demon Deacons. They’re guard-oriented are extremely reliant on Travis McKie and C.J. Harris.
Still, I’m sure Ol’ Roy would like for Hairston to slip into a plastic bubble for a week or so to avoid further injury or illness. May I suggest a hyperboaric chamber?
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
KD, Stephen and Russ lead the way, and two of those three weren’t even ranked coming out of high school.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Cal already has two members of its 2015 class on campus, and they added another to the mix Wednesday.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
He’s currently teammates with a soon-to-be Oregon Duck. Hmm …
Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
That makes three commitments in 24 hours for Cincinnati.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Terrence Samuel was recruited over at UConn.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Kansas is in South Korea repping the USA in the World University Games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino gave his take on the situation surrounding Jarvis Johnson.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)