Feb 4, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Murray State guard Zay Jackson and his attorney have reached a plea deal that will have him serve 60 days in jail on a charge of wanton endangerment stringing from an incident in which he assaulted a person in a Murray Wal-Mart last summer, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Jackson got into an argument in the parking lot of the store on Sept. 10, leading to Jackson hitting the patron with his car. The individual rode on the hood of the car for several feet before falling off.
The plea deal means Jackson, who was suspended for the season by coach Steve Prohm, will serve 49 days in jail in addition to the already-served 11 days he has logged. He’ll also be required to pay the man he assaulted, Jason Clements, for his medical bills and Jackson will be required to attend counseling.
This is all on Jackson and he’s lucky for two reasons. The first being that the sentence wasn’t worse. And the second being that he didn’t do more damage to Clements. If you’ve seen the video, you know this looked really bad.
Jackson was a key reserve as a freshman on last season’s Racer squad that made it to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
Unless he screws up some other way, this should clear the way for Jackson to return to the team next season. He probably has some personal guidelines Prohm and the staff have set for him and as long as he abides by them, he can repent for his actions. Hope the dude learned his lesson.
What’s a shame is that he was going to be a vital part of this team this season. Now with Ed Daniel and Isaiah Canaan exhausting their eligibility after this year, we’ll never know what he could’ve brought to the table.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)