Feb 4, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 25 Notre Dame at No. 9 Syracuse (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Syracuse will once against be without James Southerland and DaJuan Coleman, which has cost the Orange of late. They’ve now lost their last two games, both of which came on the road against unranked opponents. And while Syracuse will be heading back to the Carrier Dome for Big Monday tonight, they’ll be forced to face off with Notre Dame, the team that ended their undefeated season a year ago.
The Irish are actually a pretty good matchup with Syracuse. They have arguably the most physical player in the Big East in Jack Cooley, who can take up space and get to the offensive glass with the best of them. But they also have a pair of play-making guards in the back court and a slew of shooters to rotate through on the perimeter. Pitt is one of the best passing teams in the Big East, but Notre Dame may be better. Can they dissect the Syracuse zone?
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: UNC-Wilmington at Towson (7:00 p.m. ET)
There aren’t many great matchups at the mid-major level tonight, and this really is no different, as both Towson and UNC-Wilmington are well off the pace in the CAA race. That said, both teams have very good power forwards — Keith Rendlemen for UNCW and Jerrelle Benimon for Towson — that should put on quite a show going head to head tonight.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Oklahoma visits Iowa State tonight in a battle between two teams looking to establish themselves with legitimate NCAA tournament resumes. Both are sitting at 5-3 in league play, but both still have plenty of work to do to get that at-large bid. This game should be plenty entertaining, as both teams have perimeter-oriented big men and like to spread the floor.
2) George Mason and Old Dominion have had a strong rivalry for a long time. This is the last season that it will exist in the CAA, with ODU leaving. Can the Monarchs, who are 2-18 on the season, turn things around for one night?
3) Texas plays West Virginia in the Big Monday night cap. That may be the worst Big Monday matchup in the history of Big Monday.
4) Seton Hall has dropped to 2-7 in the Big East. An at-large bid isn’t really a possibility at this point, but the Pirates could be a serious spoiler in a tightly packed Big East race. They visit No. 23 Pitt tonight.
5) San Diego at Loyola Marymount means Anthony Ireland vs. Johnny Dee.
The Top 25
- No. 25 Notre Dame at No. 9 Syracuse (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Seton Hall at No. 23 Pitt (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Powell’s recruiting profile has risen thanks to the way he’s played throughout the summer.
Jul 30, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
With Jarrod Uthoff and Adam Woodbury being seniors, having two front court commits in 2016 is good news for the Hawkeyes.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
The Cardinal need to account for the loss of their top three scorers (and top two rebounders) from last season’s NIT champion team.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
The Crusaders are getting back the league’s defensive player of the year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Tyndall’s one NCAA tournament win sure was memorable.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
The cousin of former Pitt forward Chevon Troutman has developed into a quality recruit himself.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Nigel Hayes has game. He doesn’t have bars.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
According to the report SMU met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions last month.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Harding won’t join the program until 2018 however, as he’ll be taking his two-year LDS mission beforehand.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Director of player personnel Travis Diener is pegged as the best player in the games, with he and assistant Chris Carrawell trading some good-natured shots at each other.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Only Aqeel Quinn, who’s out of eligibility, made more three-pointers for the Aztecs last season than Shrigley.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)