Feb 4, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 25 Notre Dame at No. 9 Syracuse (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Syracuse will once against be without James Southerland and DaJuan Coleman, which has cost the Orange of late. They’ve now lost their last two games, both of which came on the road against unranked opponents. And while Syracuse will be heading back to the Carrier Dome for Big Monday tonight, they’ll be forced to face off with Notre Dame, the team that ended their undefeated season a year ago.
The Irish are actually a pretty good matchup with Syracuse. They have arguably the most physical player in the Big East in Jack Cooley, who can take up space and get to the offensive glass with the best of them. But they also have a pair of play-making guards in the back court and a slew of shooters to rotate through on the perimeter. Pitt is one of the best passing teams in the Big East, but Notre Dame may be better. Can they dissect the Syracuse zone?
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: UNC-Wilmington at Towson (7:00 p.m. ET)
There aren’t many great matchups at the mid-major level tonight, and this really is no different, as both Towson and UNC-Wilmington are well off the pace in the CAA race. That said, both teams have very good power forwards — Keith Rendlemen for UNCW and Jerrelle Benimon for Towson — that should put on quite a show going head to head tonight.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Oklahoma visits Iowa State tonight in a battle between two teams looking to establish themselves with legitimate NCAA tournament resumes. Both are sitting at 5-3 in league play, but both still have plenty of work to do to get that at-large bid. This game should be plenty entertaining, as both teams have perimeter-oriented big men and like to spread the floor.
2) George Mason and Old Dominion have had a strong rivalry for a long time. This is the last season that it will exist in the CAA, with ODU leaving. Can the Monarchs, who are 2-18 on the season, turn things around for one night?
3) Texas plays West Virginia in the Big Monday night cap. That may be the worst Big Monday matchup in the history of Big Monday.
4) Seton Hall has dropped to 2-7 in the Big East. An at-large bid isn’t really a possibility at this point, but the Pirates could be a serious spoiler in a tightly packed Big East race. They visit No. 23 Pitt tonight.
5) San Diego at Loyola Marymount means Anthony Ireland vs. Johnny Dee.
The Top 25
- No. 25 Notre Dame at No. 9 Syracuse (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Seton Hall at No. 23 Pitt (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Dee Brown, a member of Illinois’ national runner-up team in 2005, would love to see Brunson in an Illinois uniform.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Mitch McGary discusses the circumstances that led to his early departure.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The teams expected by many to finish in the top five will all face each other twice in 2014-15.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Zach Johnson was a player the Eagles could have used to add some depth to their backcourt.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Four Pac-12 schools remain in the running for the services of the former Arizona commit.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Drew Edwards’ relationship with Providence head coach Ed Cooley was one reason why he chose PC.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Esa Ahmad’s list includes Ohio State and two other Big Ten programs.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Diamond Stone has cut his list to five schools, but just one has also offered friend Malik Newman.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
6-foot-10 forward/center Kavell Bigby-Williams would have given the Bobcats some additional size in the paint.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Trayvon Reed, who was dismissed from the Maryland program following his arrest on multiple charges earlier this summer, will enroll at Auburn in December.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
There are already five players on the team Galemmo coached that have committed to high major programs.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
He deserved it after the season his Eagle team had.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
There’s now a reason why Charleston couldn’t hire their most famous alum.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He’s only been at DePaul for four years.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
His reaction is priceless
Aug 28, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
The Wildcats pulled a player off of a loaded AAU team’s bench.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
One of the most entertaining games in recent memory
Aug 27, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
One of the three remaining schools for Henry Ellenson added his older brother to the program in the spring.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
Markus Howard decides to remain in the “Valley of the Sun” for college.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)