Feb 4, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Devastating news coming out of Irvine, Calif., today as it is being reported that an assistant coach on the Cal State-Fullerton’s women’s team was murdered on Sunday night. From Steve Chen of the Big West Conference:
Dang… Sad day.Confirmed that #CSF WBB assistant Monica Quan murdered over the weekend with her fiance.
— Steve Chen (@BigWestMD) February 4, 2013
“It doesn’t appear they were robbed,” Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen told the Orange County Register. “There’s no obvious motive.”
Thoughts and prayers go out to Quan’s family and friends, as well as the entire CSF program.
Here is CSF’s statement:
“We can confirm that the information we have at this time indicates that Cal State Fullerton Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Monica Quan was a victim in what law enforcement is characterizing as an apparent double homicide in Irvine.
The loss of any member of the Titan family causes our community great grief, but the loss of one of our own under these circumstances is indeed tragic and heartwrenching.
We hope that Monica’s family and friends will feel and be comforted by our support during this difficult time. Counselors will be working with our staff and student-athletes as we all begin to struggle with the suddenness of losing such a special member of our university.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)