Feb 4, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Devastating news coming out of Irvine, Calif., today as it is being reported that an assistant coach on the Cal State-Fullerton’s women’s team was murdered on Sunday night. From Steve Chen of the Big West Conference:
Dang… Sad day.Confirmed that #CSF WBB assistant Monica Quan murdered over the weekend with her fiance.
— Steve Chen (@BigWestMD) February 4, 2013
“It doesn’t appear they were robbed,” Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen told the Orange County Register. “There’s no obvious motive.”
Thoughts and prayers go out to Quan’s family and friends, as well as the entire CSF program.
Here is CSF’s statement:
“We can confirm that the information we have at this time indicates that Cal State Fullerton Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Monica Quan was a victim in what law enforcement is characterizing as an apparent double homicide in Irvine.
The loss of any member of the Titan family causes our community great grief, but the loss of one of our own under these circumstances is indeed tragic and heartwrenching.
We hope that Monica’s family and friends will feel and be comforted by our support during this difficult time. Counselors will be working with our staff and student-athletes as we all begin to struggle with the suddenness of losing such a special member of our university.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte