Feb 4, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Devastating news coming out of Irvine, Calif., today as it is being reported that an assistant coach on the Cal State-Fullerton’s women’s team was murdered on Sunday night. From Steve Chen of the Big West Conference:
Dang… Sad day.Confirmed that #CSF WBB assistant Monica Quan murdered over the weekend with her fiance.
— Steve Chen (@BigWestMD) February 4, 2013
“It doesn’t appear they were robbed,” Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen told the Orange County Register. “There’s no obvious motive.”
Thoughts and prayers go out to Quan’s family and friends, as well as the entire CSF program.
Here is CSF’s statement:
“We can confirm that the information we have at this time indicates that Cal State Fullerton Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Monica Quan was a victim in what law enforcement is characterizing as an apparent double homicide in Irvine.
The loss of any member of the Titan family causes our community great grief, but the loss of one of our own under these circumstances is indeed tragic and heartwrenching.
We hope that Monica’s family and friends will feel and be comforted by our support during this difficult time. Counselors will be working with our staff and student-athletes as we all begin to struggle with the suddenness of losing such a special member of our university.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)