Feb 4, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
That definitely wasn’t pretty, Syracuse. At least not early.
However, the no. 9 Orange shook off a bad start first — both teams started the game poorly on the offensive end — and got a double-double from C. J. Fair to pull out a 63-47 victory over the no. 25 Fighting Irish at the Carrier Dome.
The win also snaps a two-game losing skid for Syracuse.
Syracuse’s scoring struggles weren’t so much a problem getting the ball in the basket, but just with any consistency. The Orange got out to a 10-0 lead in the first five-and-a-half minutes. Notre Dame, however, couldn’t get anything to drop, taking and missing only five shots in that same span before Eric Atkins hit a three at the 14:10 mark to break the drought.
The Irish responded with an 11-o run of their own to take the lead over just the next two-and-a-half minutes.
So yea, it was a game of struggle, then run, then struggle. The score was 18-17 Syracuse with 5:40 left in the half before both teams woke up and ended the half with Syracuse up 30-24.
The Orange steadily pulled away in the second half, with the final 16-point margin being the largest lead of the game with either team.
Fair finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds while Michael Carter-Williams, who got back being the best distributor in the country, finished with eight assists and only one turnovers. Jack Cooley finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds for Notre Dame.
Syracuse finished shooting 48.9-percent from the field, so the offensive struggle didn’t last long. Notre Dame hit 34.6-percent of their shots.
As Louisville can attest with their slump-buster over Pittsburgh last week, any win, however ugly, counts. The Orange got it. As for Notre Dame, it’s been a bit of a rough stretch since the win over a ranked Cincinnati team on Jan. 7. Losses to Connecticut, St. John’s, Georgetown and now Syracuse aren’t helping the Irish’s at-large hopes.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights