Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
Mitchell “Ed” Karam, a businessman from the Detroit area, pleaded guilty on Monday to charges stemming from a point-shaving scandal at the University of Toledo.
Karam admitted that he bribed basketball players to shave points between 2004 and 2006, while also admitting to fixing horse races in Florida and Delaware as well as fraudulent real estate deals in Detroit. According to the AP, Karam bet as much as $331,000 on Toledo basketball games during that time.
One former basketball player was charged and has plead guilty, back in 2008. That was Sammy Villegas, who has since gone on to a professional basketball career overseas. Three other former basketball players — Anton Currie, Kashif Payne and Keith Triplett — and Karam’s associate, Ghazi Manni, will be going on trial on March 12th.
A former Toledo football player pleaded guilty in the bribery investigation, saying he was paid $500 to fumble in the 2005 GMAC Bowl.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)