Feb 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 10 Ohio State at No. 3 Michigan (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Trey Burke vs. Aaron Craft. Those two might try to downplay the significance of their matchup, but that is what’s going to determine the outcome of this game.
What Ohio State wants to do against Burke is something that John Beilein refers to as “locking the rails”. They allow Craft to more-or-les guard Burke 1-on-1. They won’t help off of shooters on the perimeter, counting on the nation’s best on-ball defender to be able to make life miserable for the nation’s best point guard. It worked in the first game, as Burke struggled to 15 points and four assists in what was a 56-53 win for Ohio State.
But this matchup will be on the Wolverines home court with sole possession of second place in the Big Ten on the line. This is key for Michigan, because they’ll be visiting Wisconsin and Michigan State in their next two games.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 2 Florida at Arkansas (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Florida may be the best team in the country this season. They are certainly the most dominating team in the country right now, as they’ve rolled over every SEC opponent that they have faced in dominating fashion. But Arkansas’ Bud Walton Arena is a tough place to get a win, and Mike Anderson has become notorious for being a coach that wins a lot at home and loses a lot on the road. How will the Gators handle the Razorback press?
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Evansville at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Evansville has arguably the most dangerous scorer in the MVC this side of Doug McDermott on their roster in Colt Ryan, but the road is not a kind place to be in the Valley. He’ll be going up against Bradley’s leading scorer, guard Walt Lemon Jr.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Kentucky looks like they are starting to turn a corner. They went into Oxford and beat Ole Miss last Tuesday and followed that up with an overtime win over Texas A&M on Saturday. Can they keep heading in the right direction with a win over South Carolina tonight? (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
2) Wake Forest has been a pesky team to beat this season, as they already own an upset of NC State and nearly knocked off Duke. UNC is their next test. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
3) No. 13 Kansas State will head out on the road and take on Texas Tech, who has one non-TCU win in the Big 12 this season, which came against Iowa State. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
4) Florida State has lost four of their last six games and fallen off of the bubble for now. Georgia Tech is coming off of a win over Virginia on Sunday. Can the Noles bounce back? (9:00 p.m. ESPN3)
5) Villanova is 2-5 in their last seven games. They’ve beaten Louisville and Syracuse and lost to everyone else. Which means that they probably will lose to DePaul tonight, right? (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
The Top 25
- No. 2 Florida at Arkansas (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Ohio State at No. 3 Michigan (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Boston College at No. 8 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 13 Kansas State at Texas Tech (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Miami of Ohio assistant coach Trey Meyer is a native of North Augusta and grew up working, playing and coaching at Peach Jam.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)