Feb 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 10 Ohio State at No. 3 Michigan (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Trey Burke vs. Aaron Craft. Those two might try to downplay the significance of their matchup, but that is what’s going to determine the outcome of this game.
What Ohio State wants to do against Burke is something that John Beilein refers to as “locking the rails”. They allow Craft to more-or-les guard Burke 1-on-1. They won’t help off of shooters on the perimeter, counting on the nation’s best on-ball defender to be able to make life miserable for the nation’s best point guard. It worked in the first game, as Burke struggled to 15 points and four assists in what was a 56-53 win for Ohio State.
But this matchup will be on the Wolverines home court with sole possession of second place in the Big Ten on the line. This is key for Michigan, because they’ll be visiting Wisconsin and Michigan State in their next two games.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 2 Florida at Arkansas (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Florida may be the best team in the country this season. They are certainly the most dominating team in the country right now, as they’ve rolled over every SEC opponent that they have faced in dominating fashion. But Arkansas’ Bud Walton Arena is a tough place to get a win, and Mike Anderson has become notorious for being a coach that wins a lot at home and loses a lot on the road. How will the Gators handle the Razorback press?
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Evansville at Bradley (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Evansville has arguably the most dangerous scorer in the MVC this side of Doug McDermott on their roster in Colt Ryan, but the road is not a kind place to be in the Valley. He’ll be going up against Bradley’s leading scorer, guard Walt Lemon Jr.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Kentucky looks like they are starting to turn a corner. They went into Oxford and beat Ole Miss last Tuesday and followed that up with an overtime win over Texas A&M on Saturday. Can they keep heading in the right direction with a win over South Carolina tonight? (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
2) Wake Forest has been a pesky team to beat this season, as they already own an upset of NC State and nearly knocked off Duke. UNC is their next test. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
3) No. 13 Kansas State will head out on the road and take on Texas Tech, who has one non-TCU win in the Big 12 this season, which came against Iowa State. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
4) Florida State has lost four of their last six games and fallen off of the bubble for now. Georgia Tech is coming off of a win over Virginia on Sunday. Can the Noles bounce back? (9:00 p.m. ESPN3)
5) Villanova is 2-5 in their last seven games. They’ve beaten Louisville and Syracuse and lost to everyone else. Which means that they probably will lose to DePaul tonight, right? (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
The Top 25
- No. 2 Florida at Arkansas (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Ohio State at No. 3 Michigan (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Boston College at No. 8 Miami (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 13 Kansas State at Texas Tech (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)