Feb 5, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
According to multiple reports, Old Dominion head coach Blaine Taylor has been dismissed as the Monarch’s head coach.
There will be a press conference at 3:00 p.m. to make the firing official.
Taylor is in his 12th year at Old Dominion, making the postseason the past eight seasons. He won 20 games in seven of those eight seasons. His average record the past four seasons: 25-10. He’s made four NCAA tournaments and had a 237-124 record at the school prior to this season’s meltdown. ODU is 2-20 this year, which is simply a disastrous performance in their final year in the CAA, but that makes me believe there is more to the story here.
ODU has been one of the best mid-major programs in the country during Taylor’s tenure, and their talent level didn’t drop precipitously this season. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but that 2-20 record proves that there is a lot more that is wrong with this team than a simple “rebuilding”. And I’d wager dollars to donuts that’s what got Taylor canned.
UPDATE: This quote from ODU’s press release isn’t exactly praising Taylor: “This decision is not based solely on wins and losses, but on a number of factors by which a head coach is evaluated. At this point, in regard to our head men’s basketball coach, our student athletes need mentorship, leadership and guidance. Our fans and alumni need encouragement. Our administration needs confidence in our leadership.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)