Feb 5, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
According to multiple reports, Old Dominion head coach Blaine Taylor has been dismissed as the Monarch’s head coach.
There will be a press conference at 3:00 p.m. to make the firing official.
Taylor is in his 12th year at Old Dominion, making the postseason the past eight seasons. He won 20 games in seven of those eight seasons. His average record the past four seasons: 25-10. He’s made four NCAA tournaments and had a 237-124 record at the school prior to this season’s meltdown. ODU is 2-20 this year, which is simply a disastrous performance in their final year in the CAA, but that makes me believe there is more to the story here.
ODU has been one of the best mid-major programs in the country during Taylor’s tenure, and their talent level didn’t drop precipitously this season. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but that 2-20 record proves that there is a lot more that is wrong with this team than a simple “rebuilding”. And I’d wager dollars to donuts that’s what got Taylor canned.
UPDATE: This quote from ODU’s press release isn’t exactly praising Taylor: “This decision is not based solely on wins and losses, but on a number of factors by which a head coach is evaluated. At this point, in regard to our head men’s basketball coach, our student athletes need mentorship, leadership and guidance. Our fans and alumni need encouragement. Our administration needs confidence in our leadership.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)