Feb 6, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT
Northern Illinois head coach announced on Tuesday that freshman Akeem Springs has left the program.
“Akeem Springs has left the Northern Illinois basketball team for personal and family reasons,” said Montgomery. “We wish Akeem all the best in the future.”
Springs was averaging 7.7 points and 2.9 boards this season.
The Huskies are just 5-15 this season and have twice set an NCAA record for the fewest points scored in a half. I wonder if either of those facts played a role in Springs’ decision to leave?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)