Feb 6, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Just a day after news comes out that Dick Vitale will be broadcasting his first Final Four for ESPN International, more good news comes down the pipeline for ESPN’s excitable color analyst: he’ll be working a game with none other than Magic Johnson.
On February 19th at 7:00 p.m., Vitale and Mike Tirico will be teaming up with Magic to call No. 1 Indiana’s visit to No. 12 Michigan State.
I think this ought to be entertaining to listen to. It may not be the most informative broadcast — Vitale isn’t exactly known for his ability to break down x’s-and-o’s — but I’ve enjoyed Magic on the limited NBA broadcasts that I’ve seen and listening to him banter with Dickie V about their times in Michigan should produce a few chuckles. Hopefully they’ll pull out a few anecdotes.
Honestly, I just feel sorry for Tirico. It may be the first time in his career he’s paid to call a game where he never gets a word out.
Anyway, here are the statements from Johnson and Vitale in ESPN’s press release:
“From the time I was a high school basketball player in Michigan I was captivated by Coach Vitale’s spirit and passion,” said Johnson. “I’ve been fortunate to have developed a wonderful relationship with him – one which is bonded by our common love of basketball. I have the utmost admiration and respect for Dickie V as a person, a basketball genius and a commentator and I can’t wait to call this game with him and Mike Tirico.”
“I remember him as a kid so well. He was a basketball junkie, playing the game for hour after hour on the playgrounds,” Vitale said. “He became ‘Magic’ from his work ethic. I have always said if there was one player I wish I could’ve coached in my life it would be Earvin Magic Johnson. I am thrilled to be able to work with him and Mike Tirico. Although, I might have to remind him a few times that Indiana will be playing as well.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)