Feb 6, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Just a day after news comes out that Dick Vitale will be broadcasting his first Final Four for ESPN International, more good news comes down the pipeline for ESPN’s excitable color analyst: he’ll be working a game with none other than Magic Johnson.
On February 19th at 7:00 p.m., Vitale and Mike Tirico will be teaming up with Magic to call No. 1 Indiana’s visit to No. 12 Michigan State.
I think this ought to be entertaining to listen to. It may not be the most informative broadcast — Vitale isn’t exactly known for his ability to break down x’s-and-o’s — but I’ve enjoyed Magic on the limited NBA broadcasts that I’ve seen and listening to him banter with Dickie V about their times in Michigan should produce a few chuckles. Hopefully they’ll pull out a few anecdotes.
Honestly, I just feel sorry for Tirico. It may be the first time in his career he’s paid to call a game where he never gets a word out.
Anyway, here are the statements from Johnson and Vitale in ESPN’s press release:
“From the time I was a high school basketball player in Michigan I was captivated by Coach Vitale’s spirit and passion,” said Johnson. “I’ve been fortunate to have developed a wonderful relationship with him – one which is bonded by our common love of basketball. I have the utmost admiration and respect for Dickie V as a person, a basketball genius and a commentator and I can’t wait to call this game with him and Mike Tirico.”
“I remember him as a kid so well. He was a basketball junkie, playing the game for hour after hour on the playgrounds,” Vitale said. “He became ‘Magic’ from his work ethic. I have always said if there was one player I wish I could’ve coached in my life it would be Earvin Magic Johnson. I am thrilled to be able to work with him and Mike Tirico. Although, I might have to remind him a few times that Indiana will be playing as well.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)