Feb 6, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Welcome to the wild Missouri Valley.
One day after a Southern Illinois team that had previously been 1-10 in conference play beat Wichita State, Indiana State dominated No. 16 Creighton, on its way to a 76-57 victory Wednesday night at Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind.
Player of the Year candidate Doug McDermott, the center of the Creighton offense all season, struggled to shoot just 3-of-10 from the floor and had just eight points. It was only the second time all season that he failed to score double figures and was a long way off from his 24 points per game average on the year.
Without McDermott as a major factor, the only Creighton player able to find his rhythm was center Will Artino, who was 5-of-5 from the floor for 13 points.
Indiana State, on the other hand, centered its offense around a scoring trio of Jake Odum, Manny Arop, and R.J. Mahurin. Odum led the way with 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the floor, while Mahurin had 17 and Arop added 13. That trio, in hand with just four team turnovers, spelled trouble for Creighton.
The win moves Indiana State to 8-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference, tying the Sycamores with a sliding Wichita State team that has won three games in a row. They meet the Shockers on Feb. 19 at home.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)