Feb 6, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Welcome to the wild Missouri Valley.
One day after a Southern Illinois team that had previously been 1-10 in conference play beat Wichita State, Indiana State dominated No. 16 Creighton, on its way to a 76-57 victory Wednesday night at Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind.
Player of the Year candidate Doug McDermott, the center of the Creighton offense all season, struggled to shoot just 3-of-10 from the floor and had just eight points. It was only the second time all season that he failed to score double figures and was a long way off from his 24 points per game average on the year.
Without McDermott as a major factor, the only Creighton player able to find his rhythm was center Will Artino, who was 5-of-5 from the floor for 13 points.
Indiana State, on the other hand, centered its offense around a scoring trio of Jake Odum, Manny Arop, and R.J. Mahurin. Odum led the way with 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the floor, while Mahurin had 17 and Arop added 13. That trio, in hand with just four team turnovers, spelled trouble for Creighton.
The win moves Indiana State to 8-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference, tying the Sycamores with a sliding Wichita State team that has won three games in a row. They meet the Shockers on Feb. 19 at home.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)