Feb 6, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
The most discussed foot in the country belongs to Ryan Kelly.
The Blue Devil’s senior forward emerged as arguably their most valuable player throughout the first two months of the season, providing offensive balance that helped space the floor for Mason Plumlee while developing into arguably Duke’s best defender. Crazy, right?
But nearly a month ago, Kelly reinjured the foot that he had surgery on over the summer and that kept him out of last season’s NCAA tournament. He hasn’t played since, and Duke has been quite vague about his status.
No one really seems to have an answer, but for Duke fans looking to read between the lines, Plumlee may have helped to ease some concern on Tuesday.
“When we get him back, we’ll be a better team because of it,” Plumlee told Jeff Goodmon on his Sirius XM. The key word there? When. Not if, when.
“We’ve seen him without his air-sock cast on and doing a little more rehab,” Plumlee said. “But we don’t know when we’re going to have him back. I would hope we’d have him back by the end of the ACC season, but with these kind of injuries, you never really know.”
Getting Kelly back — and getting him to 100% — would be a major boost for the Blue Devils. Not only were they the best team in the country when they had their full roster, Duke has spent the last month giving Amile Jefferson a taste of what life is like at this level. The same goes for Alex Murphy. Neither of them are as valuable as Kelly (yet), but with some experience under their belt, the Blue Devils would finally have some depth in their front court.
While I’m on the topic of Duke, their front court may take another blow in Thursday’s matchup with NC State:
#Duke‘s Josh Hairston not practicing today due to a right arm infection. Arm is in a sling. He cut it at Wake Forest.
— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 5, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)