Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Considering what UConn went through during the offseason, the performance they’ve had this season has been remarkable.
After losing Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond to the NBA, Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith to transfers, head coach Jim Calhoun to retirement, and their right to play in the postseason to the APR, the Huskies have jumped out to a 15-5 record and a 5-3 start in Big East play.
They’ve been one of the nation’s biggest surprises, a team that all of Connecticut should be able to support.
Because it’s not easy to play an entire season knowing that pride and a potential Big East regular season title is all that the future holds.
“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when you work hard every day. You put the work in that we put in, and you see other schools that aren’t even doing as well as you and they’re getting a chance to play in the tournament,” point guard Ryan Boatright told reporters. “It’s frustrating, but we knew going into the season that we weren’t going to be able to (play in the postseason). We’re alright.”
“I can’t even watch ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial every other commercial. I get irritated, so I turn the TV off.”
While that may be beneficial to Boatright’s studies — or his NBA 2K13 abilities — it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
He’s probably not sick of the “My Debut Album” commercial yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)