Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Considering what UConn went through during the offseason, the performance they’ve had this season has been remarkable.
After losing Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond to the NBA, Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith to transfers, head coach Jim Calhoun to retirement, and their right to play in the postseason to the APR, the Huskies have jumped out to a 15-5 record and a 5-3 start in Big East play.
They’ve been one of the nation’s biggest surprises, a team that all of Connecticut should be able to support.
Because it’s not easy to play an entire season knowing that pride and a potential Big East regular season title is all that the future holds.
“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when you work hard every day. You put the work in that we put in, and you see other schools that aren’t even doing as well as you and they’re getting a chance to play in the tournament,” point guard Ryan Boatright told reporters. “It’s frustrating, but we knew going into the season that we weren’t going to be able to (play in the postseason). We’re alright.”
“I can’t even watch ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial every other commercial. I get irritated, so I turn the TV off.”
While that may be beneficial to Boatright’s studies — or his NBA 2K13 abilities — it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
He’s probably not sick of the “My Debut Album” commercial yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)