Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Considering what UConn went through during the offseason, the performance they’ve had this season has been remarkable.
After losing Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond to the NBA, Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith to transfers, head coach Jim Calhoun to retirement, and their right to play in the postseason to the APR, the Huskies have jumped out to a 15-5 record and a 5-3 start in Big East play.
They’ve been one of the nation’s biggest surprises, a team that all of Connecticut should be able to support.
Because it’s not easy to play an entire season knowing that pride and a potential Big East regular season title is all that the future holds.
“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when you work hard every day. You put the work in that we put in, and you see other schools that aren’t even doing as well as you and they’re getting a chance to play in the tournament,” point guard Ryan Boatright told reporters. “It’s frustrating, but we knew going into the season that we weren’t going to be able to (play in the postseason). We’re alright.”
“I can’t even watch ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial every other commercial. I get irritated, so I turn the TV off.”
While that may be beneficial to Boatright’s studies — or his NBA 2K13 abilities — it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
He’s probably not sick of the “My Debut Album” commercial yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)