Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
Considering what UConn went through during the offseason, the performance they’ve had this season has been remarkable.
After losing Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond to the NBA, Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith to transfers, head coach Jim Calhoun to retirement, and their right to play in the postseason to the APR, the Huskies have jumped out to a 15-5 record and a 5-3 start in Big East play.
They’ve been one of the nation’s biggest surprises, a team that all of Connecticut should be able to support.
Because it’s not easy to play an entire season knowing that pride and a potential Big East regular season title is all that the future holds.
“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when you work hard every day. You put the work in that we put in, and you see other schools that aren’t even doing as well as you and they’re getting a chance to play in the tournament,” point guard Ryan Boatright told reporters. “It’s frustrating, but we knew going into the season that we weren’t going to be able to (play in the postseason). We’re alright.”
“I can’t even watch ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial every other commercial. I get irritated, so I turn the TV off.”
While that may be beneficial to Boatright’s studies — or his NBA 2K13 abilities — it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
He’s probably not sick of the “My Debut Album” commercial yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)