Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Considering what UConn went through during the offseason, the performance they’ve had this season has been remarkable.
After losing Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond to the NBA, Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith to transfers, head coach Jim Calhoun to retirement, and their right to play in the postseason to the APR, the Huskies have jumped out to a 15-5 record and a 5-3 start in Big East play.
They’ve been one of the nation’s biggest surprises, a team that all of Connecticut should be able to support.
Because it’s not easy to play an entire season knowing that pride and a potential Big East regular season title is all that the future holds.
“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when you work hard every day. You put the work in that we put in, and you see other schools that aren’t even doing as well as you and they’re getting a chance to play in the tournament,” point guard Ryan Boatright told reporters. “It’s frustrating, but we knew going into the season that we weren’t going to be able to (play in the postseason). We’re alright.”
“I can’t even watch ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial every other commercial. I get irritated, so I turn the TV off.”
While that may be beneficial to Boatright’s studies — or his NBA 2K13 abilities — it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
He’s probably not sick of the “My Debut Album” commercial yet.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona