Feb 7, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Belmont and Murray State have met just five times in the history of both programs, with the Racers holding a 4-1 lead in the series and a 3-0 record in games played at the CFSB Center.
But even with that history it’s Belmont, the “new kid on the block” in the Ohio Valley Conference, that enters Thursday night’s game atop the conference standings with a 10-0 league record (Murray State leads the West Division with a 7-2 mark). And two big reasons for Belmont’s success are guards Ian Clark and Kerron Johnson.
Clark and Johnson currently average 32.6 points per game, with Clark accounting for 18.9 points per game while shooting 57.5% from the field and 51.4% from beyond the arc. Johnson runs the show for the Bruins, averaging 4.7 assists in addition to his 13.7 points per contest. These two will pose quite the challenge for Murray State’s Isaiah Canaan, widely regarded as one of the best point guards in the nation.
Canaan’s averaging 21.0 points and 4.0 assists per game while Ed Daniel (14.1 ppg, 10.9 rpg) leads the way inside, and how efficient the Racers are offensively will go a long way in deciding the outcome of this showdown.
Belmont may not go ten players deep as last year’s NCAA tournament team did but they’re still productive when it comes to forcing turnovers. On the season opponents have turned the ball over an average of 17.6 times per game, handing the ball back over to Belmont on nearly 26% of their possessions. Murray State averages 12.2 assists and 14.0 turnovers per game, and an assist-to-turnover ratio any worse than this won’t get the job done against Belmont.
One thing that works in Murray State’s favor is their success at home, where they’ve gone 32-5 over the last three seasons (7-2 in 2012-13). But don’t expect Belmont to be intimidated as they’ve taken trips to Stanford, VCU and Kansas this season.
Essentially what could be the first of two meetings between these two programs this season (the second would have to come in the OVC tournament) will boil down to turnovers. If Murray State takes care of the basketball they’re more than capable of handing Belmont its first OVC defeat.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)