Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
Michigan State might be the most beat up team in the country.
Back up point guard Travis Trice didn’t play last night because of concussion-like symptoms stemming from a second blow to the head this season. Gary Harris did play, but only because he back spasms couldn’t cause permanent brain damage with another blow to the head. He was visibly grimacing and moving slower than usual last night.
It gets worse. Not only did Branden Dawson roll and ankle in the Spartan’s win over Minnesota last night, but Adreian Payne may have ended up breaking his nose.
And then there was Keith Appling’s shoulder.
With about a minute left in the game, Appling tried to work himself free from Andre Hollins and appeared to throw his right shoulder out of its socket. He immediately doubled-over in pain and walked straight back into the locker room. From MLive.com:
“He was screaming,” Izzo said.
Izzo wasn’t sure of Appling’s status going forward, but said he hoped that because the shoulder was popped back into place quickly that it “didn’t stretch everything.”
Appling said the injury was not serious and that he could have finished the game, but wasn’t allowed to do so.
“I was a little scared because I’ve never felt nothing like that before,” Appling said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)