Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
Michigan State might be the most beat up team in the country.
Back up point guard Travis Trice didn’t play last night because of concussion-like symptoms stemming from a second blow to the head this season. Gary Harris did play, but only because he back spasms couldn’t cause permanent brain damage with another blow to the head. He was visibly grimacing and moving slower than usual last night.
It gets worse. Not only did Branden Dawson roll and ankle in the Spartan’s win over Minnesota last night, but Adreian Payne may have ended up breaking his nose.
And then there was Keith Appling’s shoulder.
With about a minute left in the game, Appling tried to work himself free from Andre Hollins and appeared to throw his right shoulder out of its socket. He immediately doubled-over in pain and walked straight back into the locker room. From MLive.com:
“He was screaming,” Izzo said.
Izzo wasn’t sure of Appling’s status going forward, but said he hoped that because the shoulder was popped back into place quickly that it “didn’t stretch everything.”
Appling said the injury was not serious and that he could have finished the game, but wasn’t allowed to do so.
“I was a little scared because I’ve never felt nothing like that before,” Appling said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)