Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Michigan State might be the most beat up team in the country.
Back up point guard Travis Trice didn’t play last night because of concussion-like symptoms stemming from a second blow to the head this season. Gary Harris did play, but only because he back spasms couldn’t cause permanent brain damage with another blow to the head. He was visibly grimacing and moving slower than usual last night.
It gets worse. Not only did Branden Dawson roll and ankle in the Spartan’s win over Minnesota last night, but Adreian Payne may have ended up breaking his nose.
And then there was Keith Appling’s shoulder.
With about a minute left in the game, Appling tried to work himself free from Andre Hollins and appeared to throw his right shoulder out of its socket. He immediately doubled-over in pain and walked straight back into the locker room. From MLive.com:
“He was screaming,” Izzo said.
Izzo wasn’t sure of Appling’s status going forward, but said he hoped that because the shoulder was popped back into place quickly that it “didn’t stretch everything.”
Appling said the injury was not serious and that he could have finished the game, but wasn’t allowed to do so.
“I was a little scared because I’ve never felt nothing like that before,” Appling said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)