Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
Michigan State might be the most beat up team in the country.
Back up point guard Travis Trice didn’t play last night because of concussion-like symptoms stemming from a second blow to the head this season. Gary Harris did play, but only because he back spasms couldn’t cause permanent brain damage with another blow to the head. He was visibly grimacing and moving slower than usual last night.
It gets worse. Not only did Branden Dawson roll and ankle in the Spartan’s win over Minnesota last night, but Adreian Payne may have ended up breaking his nose.
And then there was Keith Appling’s shoulder.
With about a minute left in the game, Appling tried to work himself free from Andre Hollins and appeared to throw his right shoulder out of its socket. He immediately doubled-over in pain and walked straight back into the locker room. From MLive.com:
“He was screaming,” Izzo said.
Izzo wasn’t sure of Appling’s status going forward, but said he hoped that because the shoulder was popped back into place quickly that it “didn’t stretch everything.”
Appling said the injury was not serious and that he could have finished the game, but wasn’t allowed to do so.
“I was a little scared because I’ve never felt nothing like that before,” Appling said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)