Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Michigan State might be the most beat up team in the country.
Back up point guard Travis Trice didn’t play last night because of concussion-like symptoms stemming from a second blow to the head this season. Gary Harris did play, but only because he back spasms couldn’t cause permanent brain damage with another blow to the head. He was visibly grimacing and moving slower than usual last night.
It gets worse. Not only did Branden Dawson roll and ankle in the Spartan’s win over Minnesota last night, but Adreian Payne may have ended up breaking his nose.
And then there was Keith Appling’s shoulder.
With about a minute left in the game, Appling tried to work himself free from Andre Hollins and appeared to throw his right shoulder out of its socket. He immediately doubled-over in pain and walked straight back into the locker room. From MLive.com:
“He was screaming,” Izzo said.
Izzo wasn’t sure of Appling’s status going forward, but said he hoped that because the shoulder was popped back into place quickly that it “didn’t stretch everything.”
Appling said the injury was not serious and that he could have finished the game, but wasn’t allowed to do so.
“I was a little scared because I’ve never felt nothing like that before,” Appling said.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)