Feb 7, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
It seems to be official now that Notre Dame will be playing at least one more season in the Big East.
It was announced back in September that the Irish would be taking their non-football talents to the ACC, but it wasn’t clear when that change was actually going to be made and when a decision was going to become official.
Well, apparently all of that happened last Friday.
Only no one knew about it until Mike Brey spilled the beans on a conference call this morning.
“We do know we’ll be in the Big East next season,” Brey said. “That decision was made last Friday. …The last hurrah will be next year, not this year.”
Big East bylaws mandated a 27-month waiting period before departure and there was some thought that Notre Dame — which wouldn’t owe the league a penny of relocation fees if it waited that long — would negotiate an early exit to jump in with fellow Big East exports Syracuse and Pittsburgh for the 2013-14 athletic calendar.
That, evidently, is not to be. And Brey said he’s fine with it, citing a bit of “buyer’s remorse” in shifting to the ACC.
Perhaps what’s more interesting is that Brey insinuated part of the decision hinged on the fact that he felt that the Catholic 7 would be spending at least one more season as a member of the Big East.
“I feel strongly that the Cathiclic schools are going to be there with us,” Brey said. “That’s one of the reasons we decided to sit tight. It looked like the Catholic schools were not going to be able to formulate the league they’re going to put together.”
So based on what Brey is telling us, the Big East will have 18 teams next season, as Syracuse and Pitt depart for the ACC:
Joining in 2013:
Leaving with the Catholic 7:
Leaving in 2014:
Notre Dame (ACC)
Rutgers (Big Ten)
Staying because they have no place better to go:
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)