Feb 7, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
Memphis knocked off SMU on Wednesday night, but they may have suffered a more important loss in the game.
Freshman center Shaq Goodwin was called for a Flagrant 2 late in the second half when he fouled SMU freshman Jalen Jones on a fast break layup. There was a collision at the rim as Jones went up to dunk, and Goodwin’s right elbow ended up in the face of Jones.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Goodwin’s foul that was ruled a Flagrant 2.)
A Flagrant 2, as defined by the NCAA, is “a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.” A Flagrant 1 is defined as “causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.”
In Conference USA, a Flagrant 2 carries with it a mandatory one-game suspension, which means that Goodwin will miss the Southern Miss game on Saturday — a battle for first place in Conference USA — unless the foul is downgraded to a Fragrant 1 by the league. The play will be reviewed today.
“I believe it should be down to a Flagrant 1 because he made a play on the ball,” Pastner said. “It wasn’t a fight. He didn’t throw a punch or an elbow. It was just a good, hard basketball play.”
Memphis cannot afford to lose a game in league play if they want to keep their at-large hopes alive.
Do you think this was worthy of being a Flagrant 2?
UPDATE: Apparently, Conference USA doesn’t:
Shaq Goodwin’s Flagrant 2 foul Wed downgraded to Flagrant 1 by C-USA. C-USA says Goodwin CAN play in Saturday’s game at SMiss. Story coming.
— L. Jason Smith (@TheCAJasonSmith) February 7, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)