Feb 7, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Memphis knocked off SMU on Wednesday night, but they may have suffered a more important loss in the game.
Freshman center Shaq Goodwin was called for a Flagrant 2 late in the second half when he fouled SMU freshman Jalen Jones on a fast break layup. There was a collision at the rim as Jones went up to dunk, and Goodwin’s right elbow ended up in the face of Jones.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Goodwin’s foul that was ruled a Flagrant 2.)
A Flagrant 2, as defined by the NCAA, is “a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.” A Flagrant 1 is defined as “causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.”
In Conference USA, a Flagrant 2 carries with it a mandatory one-game suspension, which means that Goodwin will miss the Southern Miss game on Saturday — a battle for first place in Conference USA — unless the foul is downgraded to a Fragrant 1 by the league. The play will be reviewed today.
“I believe it should be down to a Flagrant 1 because he made a play on the ball,” Pastner said. “It wasn’t a fight. He didn’t throw a punch or an elbow. It was just a good, hard basketball play.”
Memphis cannot afford to lose a game in league play if they want to keep their at-large hopes alive.
Do you think this was worthy of being a Flagrant 2?
UPDATE: Apparently, Conference USA doesn’t:
Shaq Goodwin’s Flagrant 2 foul Wed downgraded to Flagrant 1 by C-USA. C-USA says Goodwin CAN play in Saturday’s game at SMiss. Story coming.
— L. Jason Smith (@TheCAJasonSmith) February 7, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)