Feb 7, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
Memphis knocked off SMU on Wednesday night, but they may have suffered a more important loss in the game.
Freshman center Shaq Goodwin was called for a Flagrant 2 late in the second half when he fouled SMU freshman Jalen Jones on a fast break layup. There was a collision at the rim as Jones went up to dunk, and Goodwin’s right elbow ended up in the face of Jones.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Goodwin’s foul that was ruled a Flagrant 2.)
A Flagrant 2, as defined by the NCAA, is “a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.” A Flagrant 1 is defined as “causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.”
In Conference USA, a Flagrant 2 carries with it a mandatory one-game suspension, which means that Goodwin will miss the Southern Miss game on Saturday — a battle for first place in Conference USA — unless the foul is downgraded to a Fragrant 1 by the league. The play will be reviewed today.
“I believe it should be down to a Flagrant 1 because he made a play on the ball,” Pastner said. “It wasn’t a fight. He didn’t throw a punch or an elbow. It was just a good, hard basketball play.”
Memphis cannot afford to lose a game in league play if they want to keep their at-large hopes alive.
Do you think this was worthy of being a Flagrant 2?
UPDATE: Apparently, Conference USA doesn’t:
Shaq Goodwin’s Flagrant 2 foul Wed downgraded to Flagrant 1 by C-USA. C-USA says Goodwin CAN play in Saturday’s game at SMiss. Story coming.
— L. Jason Smith (@TheCAJasonSmith) February 7, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)