Feb 7, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Memphis knocked off SMU on Wednesday night, but they may have suffered a more important loss in the game.
Freshman center Shaq Goodwin was called for a Flagrant 2 late in the second half when he fouled SMU freshman Jalen Jones on a fast break layup. There was a collision at the rim as Jones went up to dunk, and Goodwin’s right elbow ended up in the face of Jones.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Goodwin’s foul that was ruled a Flagrant 2.)
A Flagrant 2, as defined by the NCAA, is “a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.” A Flagrant 1 is defined as “causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.”
In Conference USA, a Flagrant 2 carries with it a mandatory one-game suspension, which means that Goodwin will miss the Southern Miss game on Saturday — a battle for first place in Conference USA — unless the foul is downgraded to a Fragrant 1 by the league. The play will be reviewed today.
“I believe it should be down to a Flagrant 1 because he made a play on the ball,” Pastner said. “It wasn’t a fight. He didn’t throw a punch or an elbow. It was just a good, hard basketball play.”
Memphis cannot afford to lose a game in league play if they want to keep their at-large hopes alive.
Do you think this was worthy of being a Flagrant 2?
UPDATE: Apparently, Conference USA doesn’t:
Shaq Goodwin’s Flagrant 2 foul Wed downgraded to Flagrant 1 by C-USA. C-USA says Goodwin CAN play in Saturday’s game at SMiss. Story coming.
— L. Jason Smith (@TheCAJasonSmith) February 7, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)