Feb 7, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Memphis knocked off SMU on Wednesday night, but they may have suffered a more important loss in the game.
Freshman center Shaq Goodwin was called for a Flagrant 2 late in the second half when he fouled SMU freshman Jalen Jones on a fast break layup. There was a collision at the rim as Jones went up to dunk, and Goodwin’s right elbow ended up in the face of Jones.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Goodwin’s foul that was ruled a Flagrant 2.)
A Flagrant 2, as defined by the NCAA, is “a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.” A Flagrant 1 is defined as “causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball.”
In Conference USA, a Flagrant 2 carries with it a mandatory one-game suspension, which means that Goodwin will miss the Southern Miss game on Saturday — a battle for first place in Conference USA — unless the foul is downgraded to a Fragrant 1 by the league. The play will be reviewed today.
“I believe it should be down to a Flagrant 1 because he made a play on the ball,” Pastner said. “It wasn’t a fight. He didn’t throw a punch or an elbow. It was just a good, hard basketball play.”
Memphis cannot afford to lose a game in league play if they want to keep their at-large hopes alive.
Do you think this was worthy of being a Flagrant 2?
UPDATE: Apparently, Conference USA doesn’t:
Shaq Goodwin’s Flagrant 2 foul Wed downgraded to Flagrant 1 by C-USA. C-USA says Goodwin CAN play in Saturday’s game at SMiss. Story coming.
— L. Jason Smith (@TheCAJasonSmith) February 7, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)