Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM EST
ESPN.com has released their latest installment of the Player of the Year straw poll, and once again, the top three consists of Trey Burke, Doug McDermott and Mason Plumlee.
Only this time, it’s Burke that has worked his way into the top spot.
The Michigan point guard received 30 of the 57 first place votes. Doug McDermott finished second in the balloting — notching 21 first place votes — while Plumlee found himself in a distant third. Victor Oladipo made the jump to fourth place this week, and even received two first place votes. That’s surprising given that Cody Zeller finished fifth in the voting this week.
I don’t have many qualms with this week’s ballot — well, except for the people that are voting for Durand Scott (not even the best player on the Miami roster), Nate Wolters, and Shabazz Napier.
I had a vote in this poll, and my top three, in order, were Burke, McDermott and Oladipo. It’s the first time that Plumlee didn’t make my ballot, but it was a coin flip between him and Oladipo for that third spot.
The one name that I want to see get more hype next week is Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga. The Zags leading scorer — and one of the most efficient and productive big men in the country — got just a single third-place vote this week, which is a shame. He’s been sensational this season, whether you choose to look at the game through the prism of raw stats or advanced stats.
His emergence is why the Zags have gone from a good team to a Final Four threat and a contender to win a national title.
He’s fifth on my National Player of the Year ballot, even if the Wooden Award voters can’t get it together enough to realize it.
Hopefully next week, more people will be saying “Long hair, don’t care”.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)