Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM EST
ESPN.com has released their latest installment of the Player of the Year straw poll, and once again, the top three consists of Trey Burke, Doug McDermott and Mason Plumlee.
Only this time, it’s Burke that has worked his way into the top spot.
The Michigan point guard received 30 of the 57 first place votes. Doug McDermott finished second in the balloting — notching 21 first place votes — while Plumlee found himself in a distant third. Victor Oladipo made the jump to fourth place this week, and even received two first place votes. That’s surprising given that Cody Zeller finished fifth in the voting this week.
I don’t have many qualms with this week’s ballot — well, except for the people that are voting for Durand Scott (not even the best player on the Miami roster), Nate Wolters, and Shabazz Napier.
I had a vote in this poll, and my top three, in order, were Burke, McDermott and Oladipo. It’s the first time that Plumlee didn’t make my ballot, but it was a coin flip between him and Oladipo for that third spot.
The one name that I want to see get more hype next week is Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga. The Zags leading scorer — and one of the most efficient and productive big men in the country — got just a single third-place vote this week, which is a shame. He’s been sensational this season, whether you choose to look at the game through the prism of raw stats or advanced stats.
His emergence is why the Zags have gone from a good team to a Final Four threat and a contender to win a national title.
He’s fifth on my National Player of the Year ballot, even if the Wooden Award voters can’t get it together enough to realize it.
Hopefully next week, more people will be saying “Long hair, don’t care”.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)