Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
ESPN.com has released their latest installment of the Player of the Year straw poll, and once again, the top three consists of Trey Burke, Doug McDermott and Mason Plumlee.
Only this time, it’s Burke that has worked his way into the top spot.
The Michigan point guard received 30 of the 57 first place votes. Doug McDermott finished second in the balloting — notching 21 first place votes — while Plumlee found himself in a distant third. Victor Oladipo made the jump to fourth place this week, and even received two first place votes. That’s surprising given that Cody Zeller finished fifth in the voting this week.
I don’t have many qualms with this week’s ballot — well, except for the people that are voting for Durand Scott (not even the best player on the Miami roster), Nate Wolters, and Shabazz Napier.
I had a vote in this poll, and my top three, in order, were Burke, McDermott and Oladipo. It’s the first time that Plumlee didn’t make my ballot, but it was a coin flip between him and Oladipo for that third spot.
The one name that I want to see get more hype next week is Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga. The Zags leading scorer — and one of the most efficient and productive big men in the country — got just a single third-place vote this week, which is a shame. He’s been sensational this season, whether you choose to look at the game through the prism of raw stats or advanced stats.
His emergence is why the Zags have gone from a good team to a Final Four threat and a contender to win a national title.
He’s fifth on my National Player of the Year ballot, even if the Wooden Award voters can’t get it together enough to realize it.
Hopefully next week, more people will be saying “Long hair, don’t care”.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)