Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
ESPN.com has released their latest installment of the Player of the Year straw poll, and once again, the top three consists of Trey Burke, Doug McDermott and Mason Plumlee.
Only this time, it’s Burke that has worked his way into the top spot.
The Michigan point guard received 30 of the 57 first place votes. Doug McDermott finished second in the balloting — notching 21 first place votes — while Plumlee found himself in a distant third. Victor Oladipo made the jump to fourth place this week, and even received two first place votes. That’s surprising given that Cody Zeller finished fifth in the voting this week.
I don’t have many qualms with this week’s ballot — well, except for the people that are voting for Durand Scott (not even the best player on the Miami roster), Nate Wolters, and Shabazz Napier.
I had a vote in this poll, and my top three, in order, were Burke, McDermott and Oladipo. It’s the first time that Plumlee didn’t make my ballot, but it was a coin flip between him and Oladipo for that third spot.
The one name that I want to see get more hype next week is Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga. The Zags leading scorer — and one of the most efficient and productive big men in the country — got just a single third-place vote this week, which is a shame. He’s been sensational this season, whether you choose to look at the game through the prism of raw stats or advanced stats.
His emergence is why the Zags have gone from a good team to a Final Four threat and a contender to win a national title.
He’s fifth on my National Player of the Year ballot, even if the Wooden Award voters can’t get it together enough to realize it.
Hopefully next week, more people will be saying “Long hair, don’t care”.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)