Feb 8, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins, the top high school basketball player in the nation, exploded for 57 points in Huntington Prep’s 111-59 win over the Marietta College JV team on Thursday night. The offensive outburst was sparked by a Sports Illustrated article posted about him earlier in the day.
The article, written by Pete Thamel, examined the highs and lows of the Canadian product. It discussed his talent and his ceiling-less potential while also mentioning Wiggins’ two-month stint at a North Carolina prep school several years ago, and questions about his motor.
“After that article dropped, I knew I had to respond,” Wiggins told Zack Jackson of Fox Sports Ohio. “That was the best way to respond.”
Wiggins shot 24-for-28, even more impressive is that the No. 1 recruit has been battling a case of bronchitis during this stretch of the season. Although it was a Division III junior varsity squad, according to Jackson, Huntington Prep and Marietta played twice last season with Wiggins and Co. winning by single digits each time.
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins is likely to pick from either Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina or Kansas. Wiggins has previously visited Florida State, the alma mater of both of his parents.
Rob Fulford, Wiggins’ coach, told Fox Sports Ohio, following the game that his star player does have the tendency to play harder “in spurts.” If this is any indication of what Wiggins looks like when he’s fully locked in, he could live up to the hype as the world’s top high school-aged prospect and be that future NBA All-Star that several college coaches told Thamel they believe he can be.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)