Feb 8, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins, the top high school basketball player in the nation, exploded for 57 points in Huntington Prep’s 111-59 win over the Marietta College JV team on Thursday night. The offensive outburst was sparked by a Sports Illustrated article posted about him earlier in the day.
The article, written by Pete Thamel, examined the highs and lows of the Canadian product. It discussed his talent and his ceiling-less potential while also mentioning Wiggins’ two-month stint at a North Carolina prep school several years ago, and questions about his motor.
“After that article dropped, I knew I had to respond,” Wiggins told Zack Jackson of Fox Sports Ohio. “That was the best way to respond.”
Wiggins shot 24-for-28, even more impressive is that the No. 1 recruit has been battling a case of bronchitis during this stretch of the season. Although it was a Division III junior varsity squad, according to Jackson, Huntington Prep and Marietta played twice last season with Wiggins and Co. winning by single digits each time.
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins is likely to pick from either Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina or Kansas. Wiggins has previously visited Florida State, the alma mater of both of his parents.
Rob Fulford, Wiggins’ coach, told Fox Sports Ohio, following the game that his star player does have the tendency to play harder “in spurts.” If this is any indication of what Wiggins looks like when he’s fully locked in, he could live up to the hype as the world’s top high school-aged prospect and be that future NBA All-Star that several college coaches told Thamel they believe he can be.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Arizona State transfer is headed to Rice.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dukes have landed the for Massachusetts Player of the Year.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There may not be a recruit with a more interesting back story that Devonta Pollard.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Do you like them?
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Getting Kansas State to the NCAA tournament earned Bruce Weber an extension.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jim Christian wins his first recruiting battle as the head coach at BC.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
What Early Entry decisions will have the biggest impact on the 2014-2015 college basketball season?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
The next big thing to come from Canada isn’t going to be all that big.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)