Feb 8, 2013, 8:09 PM EST
Friday afternoon, Syracuse forward James Southerland had an appeal hearing in an attempt to regain his eligibility.
According to Mike Waters of the Post-Standard, after a hearing that lasted two hours, no decision had been made on Southerland’s future.
The 6-foot-8 forward was ruled ineligible on Jan. 12 for academic reasons. It was then later discovered this academic issue stemmed from a term paper. Southerland has missed the last six games for the Orange.
According to Waters, Southerland attended practice following the hearing, however his status for Sunday is still unknown.
After his hearing, Southerland arrived at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center shortly after the rest of the SU basketball team had begun its 4 p.m. practice.
Southerland’s involvement in the practice represented no change in his status. He has been permitted to practice with the Orange despite being ineligible to play in the recent games.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim declined comment after practice. Southerland was not available.
Southerland was averaging 13.6 points on the season, which currently ranks him third on the team. The importance of Southerland has only increased since freshman forward DaJuan Coleman went down with a knee injury.
Syracuse hosts St. John’s on Sunday in a battle for New York’s team.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)