Feb 8, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
Friday afternoon, Syracuse forward James Southerland had an appeal hearing in an attempt to regain his eligibility.
According to Mike Waters of the Post-Standard, after a hearing that lasted two hours, no decision had been made on Southerland’s future.
The 6-foot-8 forward was ruled ineligible on Jan. 12 for academic reasons. It was then later discovered this academic issue stemmed from a term paper. Southerland has missed the last six games for the Orange.
According to Waters, Southerland attended practice following the hearing, however his status for Sunday is still unknown.
After his hearing, Southerland arrived at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center shortly after the rest of the SU basketball team had begun its 4 p.m. practice.
Southerland’s involvement in the practice represented no change in his status. He has been permitted to practice with the Orange despite being ineligible to play in the recent games.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim declined comment after practice. Southerland was not available.
Southerland was averaging 13.6 points on the season, which currently ranks him third on the team. The importance of Southerland has only increased since freshman forward DaJuan Coleman went down with a knee injury.
Syracuse hosts St. John’s on Sunday in a battle for New York’s team.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)