Feb 8, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
Friday afternoon, Syracuse forward James Southerland had an appeal hearing in an attempt to regain his eligibility.
According to Mike Waters of the Post-Standard, after a hearing that lasted two hours, no decision had been made on Southerland’s future.
The 6-foot-8 forward was ruled ineligible on Jan. 12 for academic reasons. It was then later discovered this academic issue stemmed from a term paper. Southerland has missed the last six games for the Orange.
According to Waters, Southerland attended practice following the hearing, however his status for Sunday is still unknown.
After his hearing, Southerland arrived at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center shortly after the rest of the SU basketball team had begun its 4 p.m. practice.
Southerland’s involvement in the practice represented no change in his status. He has been permitted to practice with the Orange despite being ineligible to play in the recent games.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim declined comment after practice. Southerland was not available.
Southerland was averaging 13.6 points on the season, which currently ranks him third on the team. The importance of Southerland has only increased since freshman forward DaJuan Coleman went down with a knee injury.
Syracuse hosts St. John’s on Sunday in a battle for New York’s team.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)