Feb 8, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Texas Longhorns haven’t had many reasons to be excited this season. Texas is under .500 at 10-12 and it gets even worse in conference, where the Longhorns sit in eighth place with a 2-7 record
Despite a season of disappointment, Rick Barnes and his club have reasons to look up in the next few weeks. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo will make his season debut Feb. 13 against Iowa State after serving a 23-game suspension.
The next two weeks will be big on the recruiting front for Texas, hosting prized recruit Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian/Plano, Tex.) this weekend. Randle, the 6-foot-9 power forward, is ranked as the second-best player in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals.com. Besides Texas, Kentucky, Florida, Kansas and N.C. State are all in the running to land Randle.
While Texas has the Prestonwood Christian forward on campus this weekend, Randle will visit Kansas the following week, when the Jayhawks host Texas. In a span of eight days, Randle will watch Texas play twice.
In a down year for Texas, the Longhorns can score in the month of February and impress Randle, who is currently out with a foot injury. Texas only has one commit for the Class of 2013 — three-star point guard Isaiah Taylor (The Village School/Houston, Tex.).
This visit comes just two weeks after Randle visited N.C. State, calling it his best visit so far. He had previously visited Kentucky and Florida. His trip to Lawrence next weekend will be his final official visit.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)