Feb 8, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
In the waning moments of Oklahoma State’s 65-61 loss at Texas Tech, Marcus Smart went flying into the stands after making a block that could have potentially kept the game alive.
An elderly fan in the crowd said or did something to Smart that caused him to lose control of his emotions, pushing the fan before yelling at anyone and everyone he could find.
This has been a tough season for the Cowboys. Originally thought to be a potential contender for the Big 12 title, the Cowboys have lost five of their last six games and all of a sudden are in a position where simply earning a big to the NCAA tournament may be in jeopardy.
Smart’s lost his temper before this season, but this was simply unacceptable. I have no doubt that the fan said or did something to Smart to prompt the reaction. It probably was vile, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the guy deserved to get punched in the face instead of simply being on the receiving end of a two-handed shove.
But you simply cannot shove a fan if you are a play. Glare at him. Yell back. Drop every curse word you can think of. But do not EVER physically contact a fan, especially when the video will clearly show you being the aggressor.
The question now isn’t whether or not Smart will be suspended, it’s how long he will be suspended for. My guess would be four games, but I would not be surprised if he doesn’t suit up again in regular season play.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)