Feb 8, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
In the waning moments of Oklahoma State’s 65-61 loss at Texas Tech, Marcus Smart went flying into the stands after making a block that could have potentially kept the game alive.
An elderly fan in the crowd said or did something to Smart that caused him to lose control of his emotions, pushing the fan before yelling at anyone and everyone he could find.
This has been a tough season for the Cowboys. Originally thought to be a potential contender for the Big 12 title, the Cowboys have lost five of their last six games and all of a sudden are in a position where simply earning a big to the NCAA tournament may be in jeopardy.
Smart’s lost his temper before this season, but this was simply unacceptable. I have no doubt that the fan said or did something to Smart to prompt the reaction. It probably was vile, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the guy deserved to get punched in the face instead of simply being on the receiving end of a two-handed shove.
But you simply cannot shove a fan if you are a play. Glare at him. Yell back. Drop every curse word you can think of. But do not EVER physically contact a fan, especially when the video will clearly show you being the aggressor.
The question now isn’t whether or not Smart will be suspended, it’s how long he will be suspended for. My guess would be four games, but I would not be surprised if he doesn’t suit up again in regular season play.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)