Feb 8, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 5 Kansas at Oklahoma (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
I may have written it 15 times this week, and all of you have probably figured it out by now, but Kansas is having some serious issues on the offensive end of the floor. They don’t have a point guard — Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe are shooting a combined 26.5% from the floor with 52 assists and 48 turnovers in Big 12 play — and their most talented player is content to be a spot-up shooter the majority of the time. Throw in a crippling loss of confidence during Wednesday’s game with TCU, and what you get is Kansas posting one of the worst losses that we’ve seen in a long time.
So here we are two days later and we’re supposed to assume that the Jayhawks have gotten all of the kinks worked out?
We’re supposed to believe that, all of a sudden, Johnson and Tharpe are playing well and McLemore is taking the ball to the rim and the Jayhawks, as a whole, are not missing open threes any more?
The bottom-line is that the Sooners are a good basketball team. They have a versatile front line that can pull Jeff Withey away from the rim, they have a lock down defender in Buddy Hield and they have a star (Steven Pledger) surrounded by a combination of savvy veterans and talented freshmen. This is a good team that needs a big win that will be looking to capitalize on the struggles of the best team in the Big 12.
Who else is on Upset Alert?:
- St. Mary’s at San Diego (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU): San Diego shot their way up my list of favorite teams to watch on Saturday night as the Toreros put up one heckuva fight against No. 6 Gonzaga at home. What’s so great about them? Well, for starters, their back court is awesome. Their leading scorer is a kid named simply Johnny Dee while their point guard stands all of 5-foot-7 but still manages to make shots like this.
- No. 3 Michigan at Wisconsin (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Wisconsin is tough to beat at home for a couple of reasons: the Kohl Center gets loud, the Badgers play better in the friendly confines of Madison, WI, and they just so happen to use Sterling basketballs, the only team to do so. It may not sound like much, but for a team that relies on shooting the three as much as Michigan does, that could end up being a huge difference. Well, that and the fact that Wisconsin is a good team that gets better at home.
- No. 14 Butler at George Washington (2:00 p.m. ET): If George Washington is going to make some noise in the Atlantic 10 this season like they’re threatening too, this are the wins that they are going to need to get, especially considering just how brutal their season-ending stretch is.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Illinois will continue to be without two injured guards as both players were suspended indefinitely.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:15 PM EST
A tumultuous season gets worse for UMBC.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Raheem Appleby showed surprising hops as the 6-foot-4 guard threw down a solid dunk over a Western Kentucky defender.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
Louisville head coach Rick Pitino believes one of his underclassmen will definitely leave for the NBA.
Pregame Shootaround: Duke battles Virginia and Wichita State gets its biggest Valley test on a busy Saturday
Jan 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Duke and Virginia highlights a busy Saturday slate.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:01 PM EST
Here is a rundown of all the action from Friday night.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
The Jayhawks will wear these on Feb. 28.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
That rivalry ended when Mizzou left the Big 12 in favor of the SEC.
Jan 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Trey Davis left the court with only seconds remaining after colliding into a Kendall Pollard screen.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
The backup guard has missed the last five games.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Big Country,” Randy Rutherford and the rest of the squad is expected back for the team’s game against Kansas to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their trip to the Final Four.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:04 PM EST
Bruce Pearl expressed remorse over how his tenure at Tennessee ended and also remains thankful for former Tennessee AD Mike Hamilton.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:47 PM EST
Having already lost one game in Ivy League play, Harvard looks to bounce back with a win at Princeton.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EST
Aaron White suffered a stinger in Iowa’s loss to Purdue, and Gabe Olaseni is dealing with a sprained ankle suffered Monday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
The donation will be used to improve the basketball offices and practice facility, with leftover funds being used for any improvements that may need to be made down the line.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Kansas’ incredibly rigorous schedule moves them to the top line in the latest update.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Thursday’s loss was a reminder of the fact that these current Utah players are still getting used to being the “hunted.”
Jan 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EST
While D’Angelo Russell gets most of the attention (and rightfully so), another freshman has stepped forward in the last two games for the Buckeyes.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
The Super Bowl isn’t the only high-octane action we’ll see this weekend.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
With Shannon Scott being a senior and D’Angelo Russell considered to be a possible lottery pick if he goes pro, JaQuan Lyle’s commitment is a nice insurance policy moving forward.
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)