Feb 8, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 5 Kansas at Oklahoma (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
I may have written it 15 times this week, and all of you have probably figured it out by now, but Kansas is having some serious issues on the offensive end of the floor. They don’t have a point guard — Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe are shooting a combined 26.5% from the floor with 52 assists and 48 turnovers in Big 12 play — and their most talented player is content to be a spot-up shooter the majority of the time. Throw in a crippling loss of confidence during Wednesday’s game with TCU, and what you get is Kansas posting one of the worst losses that we’ve seen in a long time.
So here we are two days later and we’re supposed to assume that the Jayhawks have gotten all of the kinks worked out?
We’re supposed to believe that, all of a sudden, Johnson and Tharpe are playing well and McLemore is taking the ball to the rim and the Jayhawks, as a whole, are not missing open threes any more?
The bottom-line is that the Sooners are a good basketball team. They have a versatile front line that can pull Jeff Withey away from the rim, they have a lock down defender in Buddy Hield and they have a star (Steven Pledger) surrounded by a combination of savvy veterans and talented freshmen. This is a good team that needs a big win that will be looking to capitalize on the struggles of the best team in the Big 12.
Who else is on Upset Alert?:
- St. Mary’s at San Diego (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU): San Diego shot their way up my list of favorite teams to watch on Saturday night as the Toreros put up one heckuva fight against No. 6 Gonzaga at home. What’s so great about them? Well, for starters, their back court is awesome. Their leading scorer is a kid named simply Johnny Dee while their point guard stands all of 5-foot-7 but still manages to make shots like this.
- No. 3 Michigan at Wisconsin (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Wisconsin is tough to beat at home for a couple of reasons: the Kohl Center gets loud, the Badgers play better in the friendly confines of Madison, WI, and they just so happen to use Sterling basketballs, the only team to do so. It may not sound like much, but for a team that relies on shooting the three as much as Michigan does, that could end up being a huge difference. Well, that and the fact that Wisconsin is a good team that gets better at home.
- No. 14 Butler at George Washington (2:00 p.m. ET): If George Washington is going to make some noise in the Atlantic 10 this season like they’re threatening too, this are the wins that they are going to need to get, especially considering just how brutal their season-ending stretch is.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Panthers are dancing after winning four games in the Horizon League Conference Tournament. Meet one of the NCAA Tournament’s more dangerous double-digit seeds here.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
After only two seasons as head coach, Tennessee State has opted to fire head coach Travis Williams.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The Southland’s top team has been upset in the conference tournament for the past three seasons. Will the trend continue? Or has the arrival of Stephen F. Austin’s new coach, Brad Underwood, altered the trajectory?
Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
UNC Wilmington on Tuesday announced that head coach Buzz Peterson is out after four years at the school.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Every year, there are a handful of teams that could use a couple of wins in their respective league tournaments to gain entry into the field of 68. Here are five schools that need to string some wins together this week to feel comfortable making NCAA Tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
In light of the back injury that will keep Joel Embiid out for the Big 12 tournament and could foreseeably saddle him to the bench for the entirety of the NCAA tournament, we decided to take a look at season-ending injuries to key players on past National Title contenders: Kenyon Martin: Cincinnati was the No. 1…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here. Bowling Green will not be renewing the contract of head coach Louis Orr, the school announced on Tuesday. Orr had coached the Falcons for seven seasons, finishing with a 101-121 record and just one season with a .500 record or better. BGSU was 12-20 this past…
2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC
Mar 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The American came into this season as a big unknown, but with five likely NCAA Tournament teams and three All-Americans, this is one of the better leagues in college basketball this season. Can Louisville win the league in its only year in the American or will Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU or UConn get in the way?
Mar 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Vegas is good at predicting winners. Here are their odds for all of the major conference tournaments.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Four automatic bids will be earned on Tuesday night, with the West Coast Conference title game headlining.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Doug McDermott. Player of the Year. This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Saint Louis will look to repeat as the Atlantic 10 Tournament champion, but it won’t be easy. The field in Brooklyn could have six, yes six, NCAA tournament-bound teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
When you take your team to 34-0, you’re the National Coach of the Year. Pretty sure our forefathers wrote that into the Constitution.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Now 15 teams deep, the ACC’s showcase event will span five days in Greensboro. Between the new arrivals, one upcoming departure and a plethora of talented players, this will be must-see television.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The Duke star is NBCSports.com’s National Freshman of the Year.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
South Dakota will not be renewing the contract of their interim head coach.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Click through to find out why it’s important to pay your rent on time.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
How safe is Gonzaga after last night’s win? Where will Delaware be seeded come Sunday?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Florida is the best team in the country, let alone the SEC. But what else do we know about anyone in the league? Read why this week will tell us so much.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)