Feb 9, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Despite his insistence that the 2012 Olympics in London would be his last with Team USA, it appears that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski could be in for another run in the 2016 Games.
Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo has yet to name a replacement and has pushed the deadline for finding a new coach past the end of the college basketball season, ESPN.com is reporting.
In an additional report from the Associated Press, speculation still abounds:
One of the people told The Associated Press that though Krzyzewski gave no indication in London he would return, there were since ”rumblings” that he was open to it. Another said the delay was creating speculation that Coach K would be back.
Krzyzewski has been a part of USA Basketball since 1979. He has served as the head coach for the last two Olympic teams, one that bounced back from a disappointing showing in Athens in 2004 to take gold in 2008, then just this past summer in London.
The Associated Press reports that Krzyzewski will continue to focus on his Duke team before making a decision about Team USA. The Blue Devils are ranked No. 4 in the country and are 20-2 on the season.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)