Feb 9, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Despite his insistence that the 2012 Olympics in London would be his last with Team USA, it appears that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski could be in for another run in the 2016 Games.
Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo has yet to name a replacement and has pushed the deadline for finding a new coach past the end of the college basketball season, ESPN.com is reporting.
In an additional report from the Associated Press, speculation still abounds:
One of the people told The Associated Press that though Krzyzewski gave no indication in London he would return, there were since ”rumblings” that he was open to it. Another said the delay was creating speculation that Coach K would be back.
Krzyzewski has been a part of USA Basketball since 1979. He has served as the head coach for the last two Olympic teams, one that bounced back from a disappointing showing in Athens in 2004 to take gold in 2008, then just this past summer in London.
The Associated Press reports that Krzyzewski will continue to focus on his Duke team before making a decision about Team USA. The Blue Devils are ranked No. 4 in the country and are 20-2 on the season.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)