Feb 9, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Despite his insistence that the 2012 Olympics in London would be his last with Team USA, it appears that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski could be in for another run in the 2016 Games.
Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo has yet to name a replacement and has pushed the deadline for finding a new coach past the end of the college basketball season, ESPN.com is reporting.
In an additional report from the Associated Press, speculation still abounds:
One of the people told The Associated Press that though Krzyzewski gave no indication in London he would return, there were since ”rumblings” that he was open to it. Another said the delay was creating speculation that Coach K would be back.
Krzyzewski has been a part of USA Basketball since 1979. He has served as the head coach for the last two Olympic teams, one that bounced back from a disappointing showing in Athens in 2004 to take gold in 2008, then just this past summer in London.
The Associated Press reports that Krzyzewski will continue to focus on his Duke team before making a decision about Team USA. The Blue Devils are ranked No. 4 in the country and are 20-2 on the season.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)