Feb 9, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
If there were any week that would most easily allow for a team to jump in the polls from No. 8 to No. 1, it is this week with the Miami Hurricanes. After handily beating North Carolina, 87-61, the door could be open.
After No. 1 Indiana lost to Illinois, No. 2 Florida lost to Arkansas, No. 3 Michigan lost to Wisconsin, and No. 5 Kansas lost to TCU, the Hurricanes have three teams–Gonzaga, Arizona, and Duke–ahead of them who have or will likely win out this week. Will Miami make the leap?
The Case for the Hurricanes
– Miami remains undefeated in the ACC at 10-0.
– The Hurricanes have quality wins over a dangerous Michigan State team and NC State, as well as a trouncing of No. 1 Duke.
– In addition, Miami has beaten North Carolina twice, Maryland, and solid mid-majors UMass, Charlotte, and La Salle.
– Losses to No. 7 Arizona and Indiana State were without big man Reggie Johnson.
– Not only was Saturday’s 87-61 win over North Carolina a conventional win, but it was dominant as well.
– According to ESPN, “Miami is the first team to beat Duke and UNC each by 20+ points in same season since Maryland in 1974-75 season”
The Case Against the Hurricanes
– The early-season loss to Florida-Gulf Coast continues to linger.
– Arizona remains ranked higher than the Hurricanes and, barring a loss to Cal Sunday, would hold the head-to-head advantage.
– Unlike the Big Ten, the ACC is a relatively weak conference. Consider the Hurricanes’ schedule from here: Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Wake, Virginia Tech, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson.
The Hurricanes have now won more conference games this season (10) with eight games remaining than they won all of last season (9). They are also almost assured on Monday of achieving the highest-ever ranking in school history. This week’s No. 8 ranking tied a school record and with at least four teams ahead of them losing, it is nearly guaranteed.
Is Miami the nation’s No. 1 team?
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)