Feb 9, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
Memphis made a statement on Saturday afternoon by going into Hattiesburg and soundly beating Southern Miss.
The final score was 89-76, and while the game was closer than the final would indicate, the Tigers were in control for the majority of the second half.
It was as good as the Tigers have looked all season, particularly on the offensive end of the floor, and it came as they beat a Golden Eagle team that was sitting at 18-5 overall and 7-1 in Conference USA on the road. That’s precisely the kind of performance that you expect to see out of a league title contender, and it’s the kind of win that you expect an NCAA tournament team to be able to earn.
The problem, however, is that this win is going to ring hollow.
Southern Miss has mastered the art of RPI manipulation. They were sitting at 43rd nationally heading into this game despite the fact that Donnie Tyndall’s club was 0-5 against the RPI top 100. Their best win to date? Either at home against Denver or on the road at Georgia. That’s not pretty. And it’s exactly why the national reaction to this win will more or less be ‘meh’.
These are the games that Memphis is supposed to win. You know. Because they’re Memphis.
And it also puts them on the exact same trajectory that they were on a year ago. Memphis struggled through non-conference play in 2011-2012, recovering enough as the calendar turned to reel off an impressive winning streak and enter the NCAA tournament as one of the nation’s trendiest sleeper picks. Only, the Tigers went and lost to St. Louis in the opening round.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
How many people are going to see this result and want to avoid being fooled by the Tigers once again?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)