Feb 9, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Ah, Big East, how we will miss ye.
The No. 23 Pitt Panthers reminded us again how great a league game can be, battling back and forth with No. 17 Cincinnati for 33 minutes before grabbing hold of the game with both hands down the stretch.
The Panthers are making a statement in a stacked conference race that currently features seven nationally-ranked teams. Jamie Dixon’s team is tough, disciplined, and opportunistic, qualities that will come in very handy as the Big East season grinds to a close. In today’s game, they kept the Bearcats from ruling the boards, and completely shut them down from the perimeter, harrassing their hosts into 30.8 percent shooting from the floor.
The most encouraging thing to come out of Pitt’s recent three-game win streak is a balanced scoring attack that leaves few gaps for opposing teams to exploit. Tray Woodall (14 points) has shown the ability to take over a game in crunch time, and he’s got the horses inside to make perimeter scoring easier. Talib Zanna (11 points, 9 rebounds) and seven-foot freshman Steven Adams (13 points, 4 blocks) have found their groove on the blocks, and that creates room for everyone.
Pitt is just one game back in the Big East right now, and will travel to face league leader N0. 24 Marquette next Saturday, and then host No. 25 Notre Dame two days later. After that, no ranked teams stand between them and a postseason bid. That doesn’t mean much in the Big East, but it beats the alternative. And, while all schedules are not equal, there is this:
— Oakland Zoo (@OaklandZoo) February 10, 2013
Don’t be surprised if the Panthers keep fighting for a title in their final Big East season.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)