Feb 9, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 11 Louisville vs. No. 25 Notre Dame (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Louisville has won three straight games after losing three in a row as part of a bad stretch in late January. In hand with that turnaround has been Peyton Siva reemerging after struggling during the Cardinals’ losing streak. Since Pitino’s team has bounced back, Siva has affected the game either by scoring or working for others, including a 10-assist game in a win over Pitt and a 14-point game in a win over Marquette.
That Siva/Russ Smith backcourt meets its match Saturday against Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant, two guards who average over 20 points and 10 assists between them. On the interior, Louisville will need to contain Big East Player of the Year candidate Jack Cooley, who has had a double-double in five of his last six games.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Dayton (-4) vs. Temple (11:00 a.m. ET, ESPNU)
Dayton has the advantage of being at home, but we the viewing audience will have the treat of a solid point guard matchup for brunch Saturday. Khalif Wyatt vs. Kevin Dillard is one of the better ones to follow not just among mid-majors, but in the country. Wyatt has had a flair for the dramatic this season, having put together stellar outings in a win over Syracuse and nearly pulling off an upset of Kansas.
Dillard, too, has had his moments. His 23 points against St. Joe’s lifted the Flyers to a key 60-54 win just this past Wednesday. Who would I take? It’s close, but I’ll take Wyatt and the Owls in the upset.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: No. 15 New Mexico vs. UNLV (9:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
The best non-BCS matchups somehow always happen to be in the Mountain West. We are gifted with another gem Saturday. The Lobos have bounced back with three straight wins after an embarrassing loss to San Diego State on Jan. 26. The three-point ball has been key in New Mexico’s last two wins and they will likely highlight that again Saturday.
For UNLV, they will need to look to Anthony Bennett, their talented Freshman of the Year candidate. If he gets into foul trouble, it could spell trouble for the Rebels. A loss to New Mexico on Jan. 9 saw Bennett score just 10 points and pick up four fouls. No Bennett likely means no key conference win for coach Dave Rice’s team.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Coming off perhaps the biggest upset loss of the season, No. 5 Kansas needs to turn things around–and fast. There are legitimate concerns about how the Jayhawks will handle their lack of a true, reliable point guard. Does that mean freshman Ben McLemore shifts it into another gear? Does it mean center Jeff Withey steps it up on both ends of the floor? We’ll see Saturday when Kansas meets Oklahoma.
2) Jim Larranaga is a real contender for National Coach of the Year. The Hurricanes are rolling and undefeated in ACC play. After North Carolina on Saturday, there is only a matchup with Duke remaining where they likely won’t be favored. Otherwise, this is beginning to look like Miami’s conference for the taking.
3) No. 19 Oregon has been without freshman point guard Dominic Artis as he sits with a foot injury. In that span, the Ducks are 1-3 and have struggled to control turnovers. There is reportedly no definitive timeline for his return, meaning he likely won’t be in the lineup when Dana Altman’s team meets Utah Saturday.
4) National Player of the Year candidate Doug McDermott was held to just eight points in Creighton’s loss to Indiana State on Wednesday. With that loss, the Bluejays fell to within one game of Wichita State and Indiana State in the Missouri Valley race. McDermott & Co. has a chance to get back on track Saturday vs. Illinois State.
5) Speaking of the Missouri Valley, Wichita State, a team that once climbed as high as No. 15 in the national polls, is on a bad losing skid in Missouri Valley play. The Shockers have lost three in a row and need Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early to step up as the scoring threats that they are in WSU wants to regain traction atop a crowded MVC. They take on Missouri State on Saturday.
The Top 25
No. 2 Florida vs. Mississippi State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 3 Michigan vs. Wisconsin (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 5 Kansas vs. Oklahoma (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 6 Gonzaga vs. Loyola Marymount (8:00 p.m. ET, ROOT Sports)
No. 8 Miami vs. North Carolina (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 11 Louisville vs. No. 25 Notre Dame (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 12 Michigan State vs. Purdue (7:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
No. 13 Kansas State vs. Iowa State (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
No. 14 Butler vs. George Washington (2:00 p.m. ET)
No. 15 New Mexico vs. UNLV (9:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network)
No. 16 Creighton vs. Illinois State (10:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
No. 17 Cincinnati vs. No. 23 Pittsburgh (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 19 Oregon vs. Utah (8:00 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
No. 20 Georgetown vs. Rutgers (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 21 Missouri vs. Ole Miss (1:00 p.m. ET, CBS)
No. 22 Oklahoma State vs. Texas (1:45 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 24 Marquette vs. DePaul (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Other Notable Games
Temple vs. Dayton (11:00 a.m. ET, ESPNU)
Akron vs. Miami (OH) (1:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
St. Joseph’s vs. UMass (2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
Auburn vs. Kentucky (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Stanford vs. Arizona State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Virginia Commonwealth vs. Charlotte (7:00 p.m. ET)
Wichita State vs. Missouri State (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Wyoming vs. Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
Washington State vs. UCLA (10:00 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
Saint Mary’s vs. San Diego (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Apr 21, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
In need of some bodies in the front court, Eastern Michigan has reportedly added one in the form of George Mason transfer Anali Okoloji.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Late Sunday Vanderbilt landed its first commitment in the 2015 class, with shooting guard Camron Justice announcing his pledge via Twitter.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
USF lost two more players Saturday as guards Javontae Hawkins and Musa Abdul-Aleem decided to transfer.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
UConn guard Ryan Boatright is still weighing whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The 62nd annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament wrapped up Saturday night, with former Marquette big man Davante Gardner winning MVP honors.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)