Feb 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Friday night, while the snowstorm halted any sort of activity in the northeast, Trevor Wages, a junior center for the Colorado School of Mines delayed a Division II game after shattering a backboard.
In the first half of the Mines’ game against Metro State, the 6-foot-9 junior center threw down a dunk, breaking the backboard, causing the game to be postponed until Sunday with Metro State leading 21-16.
“I didn’t believe it until I landed,” Wages told 9News.com following the dunk. “I was just stoked about the dunk and then all of a sudden I look back and it’s hanging down. I just started screaming.
“I was thinking, ‘Are we going to be able to play the rest of the game,'” added Wages. “Those kinds of plays get you pumped. We had the momentum; you don’t want to stop playing. It was an awesome experience but I wish we could still be playing.”
Wages is tied for the team-high in points per game at 16.6. He leads the team in rebounds with 9.7 per contest.
Colorado School of Mines is currently 11-8.
Photo courtesy of Colorado School of Mines Facebook page
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)