Feb 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Friday night, while the snowstorm halted any sort of activity in the northeast, Trevor Wages, a junior center for the Colorado School of Mines delayed a Division II game after shattering a backboard.
In the first half of the Mines’ game against Metro State, the 6-foot-9 junior center threw down a dunk, breaking the backboard, causing the game to be postponed until Sunday with Metro State leading 21-16.
“I didn’t believe it until I landed,” Wages told 9News.com following the dunk. “I was just stoked about the dunk and then all of a sudden I look back and it’s hanging down. I just started screaming.
“I was thinking, ‘Are we going to be able to play the rest of the game,'” added Wages. “Those kinds of plays get you pumped. We had the momentum; you don’t want to stop playing. It was an awesome experience but I wish we could still be playing.”
Wages is tied for the team-high in points per game at 16.6. He leads the team in rebounds with 9.7 per contest.
Colorado School of Mines is currently 11-8.
Photo courtesy of Colorado School of Mines Facebook page
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)