Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EDT
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
- Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
- Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
- The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
- It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
- Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
- The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
- Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)