Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EDT
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
- Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
- Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
- The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
- It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
- Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
- The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
- Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)