Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EST
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
– Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
– Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
– The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
– It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
– Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
– The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
– Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 AM EST
I hope you’re ready for a thrilling day of hoops.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:31 AM EST
Michigan State fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions late in regulation, and it set the stage for an overtime loss at home.
Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV
Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 PM EST
The Vandy freshman taunted a Tennessee player as time expired in the Commodores’ win, and his head coach read him the riot act in the handshake line.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EST
Who were the winners and the losers on the bubble on Thursday?
Feb 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EST
Tate scored a career-high 22 points Thursday night, and his move into the starting lineup has helped Ohio State.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Five year-old Nicholas Wince spent the entire day with West Virginia prior to their win over Texas, signing a National Letter of Intent as well.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
These are more understated than recent adidas uniforms.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 AM EST
Chris Jones was dismissed from the team on Sunday.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 AM EST
And No. 2 Virginia limited Wake Forest to 21.8% shooting without two starters.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
The Duke defense is the biggest red flag on any true contender.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Scott Drew’s Bears went on an 18-4 second half run to take control of the game, hitting six three-pointers.
Feb 25, 2015, 9:57 PM EST
Here are Wednesday’s bubble winners and losers.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)