Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EST
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
– Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
– Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
– The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
– It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
– Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
– The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
– Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
North Carolina and Iowa State earned conference home wins on Monday night.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 PM EST
Iowa State bounced back from a loss against Texas Tech with a big home win over Texas.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
UCLA should get a boost in practice with the addition of a four-star freshman forward to its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
BYU might be without a key frontcourt piece for the rest of the season.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
The son of a former NBA veteran is moving on to a CAA program from Wake Forest.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EST
Washington loses one of the most talented shot blockers in the nation.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
DePaul may have to reschedule their trip to Providence.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Not a lot going on Monday night, but still some great games to check out.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Maryland grabs an impact point guard in the 2016 class.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:52 PM EST
Johnson landed awkwardly against Ohio State and may have to miss some time.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
Don’t be surprised if there is only one unbeaten left by this time next week.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
A recap of the nine craziest finishes from your college hoops weekend.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:28 AM EST
Frankamp spent a little more than a year at Kansas before transferring.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
The best players and most impressive teams from the last week of college hoops.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:54 AM EST
We have a new member in our Top Ten.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
Northwestern has lost its last three games by a total of five points.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 PM EST
Lucas Siewert joins small forward Brendan Bailey as Arizona State’s second four-star verbal commitment in the 2016 class.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)