Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EDT
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
- Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
- Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
- The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
- It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
- Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
- The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
- Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Do you think the MLB needs some ice for that burn?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
A former Baylor commit is suing his former high school for allegedly altering his grades.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Missouri is losing a wing shooter.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Can an SEC program reel in a top-5 player in the 2015 class during a weekend visit?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Harvard landed another quality recruit.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
IUPUI unveiled a new court design this week.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Western Kentucky fans were given three options and selected one for the upcoming season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
NBA teams know all about efficiency stats and advanced analytics. College freshmen and sophomores may not.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Evans may be the best point guard in the Class of 2015, but it’s up for debate.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Ernie Kent lands his third commitment in the Class of 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
The pair will replace Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
The Owls may not have landed Jalen Brunson, but they did bring in an elite “legacy” in the back court.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Long Beach State has four commits in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Pauley Pavilion has gone under plenty of changes in the last few seasons and dealt with a flooding issue several months back.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
UNLV continues to tap into the local powerhouse.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
All four commits are ranked in the Rivals150.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Spoiler: Kentucky is going to dunk a lot this season.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A decision could come within the next three weeks.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
John Calipari’s loaded roster has required a new position on the Kentucky staff.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Logwood had previously signed with Auburn.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)