Feb 10, 2013, 2:42 AM EDT
There’s nothing more entertaining that a weird box score, and no box score is weirder than one that comes from a five overtime game. Let’s hit it, shall we?:
- Notre Dame and Louisville played 65 minutes worth of basketball. Six players logged at least 50 minutes. Eric Atkins led the way with 60 minutes played. That’ll be rough on the legs.
- Notre Dame’s Austin Burgett and Louisville’s Tim Henderson managed the infamous “0+”. In a five overtime game. Ouch.
- The two teams combined for 66 fouls and 97 total foul shots. Eight players fouled out, with the Irish playing the majority of the extra time without three starters. Jack Cooley fouled out with seven minutes left in regulation.
- It took 63 minutes of basketball to break the century mark, as a jumper from Atkins put Notre Dame up 100-98 with 2:08 left in the fifth overtime.
- Given the offensive struggles faced by both teams for 65 minutes, the fact that Jerian Grant was able to score 12 points — three threes and a three-point play — in the span of 29 seconds at the end of regulation is both incredible and undoubtedly going to be overlooked. Who cares about one of the most thrilling finished to regulation when there were 25 more minutes of basketball played?
- The two teams combined to take 158 shots from the field, but only one player took 20 shots. That would be Chane Behanan, who was 13-20 from the floor and finished with 30 points. Easily the most surprising stat coming out of this was is that Russ Smith didn’t actually lead the team in shots attempted.
- Here’s my favorite stat of the game: Garrick Sherman, who hadn’t played in the month of February and who had managed all of 29 minutes, 0-7 shooting, two points and four DNP-CD’s in the last month (eight games), finished with 17 points and six boards on 7-10 shooting in 22 minutes, and didn’t play a second in regulation.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
Richard Pitino had five recruits scheduled to join the program.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The College of Charleston is looking to replace Doug Wojcik, who was fired on Aug. 5.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
This is the first commit in the Beavers’ Class of 2015.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-10 big man was dismissed from Missouri on April 10.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Some of the best high school players in the country appeared in Elite 24 this weekend in Brooklyn.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton adds depth to its point guard position for the 2014-2015 season.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The younger brother of Enes Kanter will join the favorite to win the Horizon League.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Porter Moser’s team should still take a step forward in the Missouri Valley.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Pastner continues to recruit the state of Tennessee well.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Some teams are unlucky in losses. It’s not bad luck when you blow games you should have won, though.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Our top ten is different, but not by that much.
Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
According to a report, there are six sites vying for four Final Fours between 2017 and 2020.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Value Add is college basketball’s equivalent to WARP.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
UTEP took a blow to its 2014-15 season as two freshmen failed to make the roster.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Xavier went 4-0 on a preseason trip to Brazil and got a lot of playing time for its inexperienced team.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
UConn gave a scholarship to a former walk-on.
Aug 25, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Former Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson will get a shot to play professionally in Europe.
Aug 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Cool video of a Vanderbilt walk-on earning a scholarship.
Aug 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Georgetown great Patrick Ewing and agent David Falk are donating $3.3 million to Georgetown for a practice facility.
Aug 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
This week’s CBT Recruiting Roundup features some thoughts on Bruce Pearl’s fast start at Auburn and a couple players cutting school lists.
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind (4)
- Creighton’s logos draw ire of Major League Baseball franchise (4)