Feb 10, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Is it time to start getting worried about Creighton yet?
The No. 16 Bluejays lost their second game in a row on Saturday night, dropping a league game to Illinois State 75-72. It was their fourth loss in the last seven games. But unlike the other three, this didn’t come on the road.
Creighton lost in Omaha, giving way the conference lead that was gifted to them when Wichita State went and lost to MVC bottom-feeder Southern Illinois.
There are two things that Creighton does that allows them to win basketball games: they give the ball to Doug McDermott and they shoot really, really well from beyond the arc. The Bluejays shot 4-23 from three on Saturday night, and still managed to have the ball, down three points in the final minutes despite watching Tyler Brown and Johnny Hill put on a show for the Redbirds. Call me crazy, but I don’t anticipate too many 4-23 shooting nights from the Bluejays.
On Wednesday, when Creighton got drubbed by Indiana State, McDermott finished with just eight points on 10 shots as the Bluejays shot 5-18 from beyond the arc. Again, those two things aren’t going to happen all that frequently.
But they can and will happen again before the season is over.
So unless Creighton can figure out a way to win those games, their upside in the postseason will be limited.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)