Feb 10, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Is it time to start getting worried about Creighton yet?
The No. 16 Bluejays lost their second game in a row on Saturday night, dropping a league game to Illinois State 75-72. It was their fourth loss in the last seven games. But unlike the other three, this didn’t come on the road.
Creighton lost in Omaha, giving way the conference lead that was gifted to them when Wichita State went and lost to MVC bottom-feeder Southern Illinois.
There are two things that Creighton does that allows them to win basketball games: they give the ball to Doug McDermott and they shoot really, really well from beyond the arc. The Bluejays shot 4-23 from three on Saturday night, and still managed to have the ball, down three points in the final minutes despite watching Tyler Brown and Johnny Hill put on a show for the Redbirds. Call me crazy, but I don’t anticipate too many 4-23 shooting nights from the Bluejays.
On Wednesday, when Creighton got drubbed by Indiana State, McDermott finished with just eight points on 10 shots as the Bluejays shot 5-18 from beyond the arc. Again, those two things aren’t going to happen all that frequently.
But they can and will happen again before the season is over.
So unless Creighton can figure out a way to win those games, their upside in the postseason will be limited.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)