Feb 10, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Is it time to start getting worried about Creighton yet?
The No. 16 Bluejays lost their second game in a row on Saturday night, dropping a league game to Illinois State 75-72. It was their fourth loss in the last seven games. But unlike the other three, this didn’t come on the road.
Creighton lost in Omaha, giving way the conference lead that was gifted to them when Wichita State went and lost to MVC bottom-feeder Southern Illinois.
There are two things that Creighton does that allows them to win basketball games: they give the ball to Doug McDermott and they shoot really, really well from beyond the arc. The Bluejays shot 4-23 from three on Saturday night, and still managed to have the ball, down three points in the final minutes despite watching Tyler Brown and Johnny Hill put on a show for the Redbirds. Call me crazy, but I don’t anticipate too many 4-23 shooting nights from the Bluejays.
On Wednesday, when Creighton got drubbed by Indiana State, McDermott finished with just eight points on 10 shots as the Bluejays shot 5-18 from beyond the arc. Again, those two things aren’t going to happen all that frequently.
But they can and will happen again before the season is over.
So unless Creighton can figure out a way to win those games, their upside in the postseason will be limited.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT(Edit)
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT(Edit)
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT(Edit)
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT(Edit)
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT(Edit)
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT(Edit)
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT(Edit)
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT(Edit)
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT(Edit)
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT(Edit)
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT(Edit)
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT(Edit)
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT(Edit)
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT(Edit)
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT(Edit)
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)