Feb 10, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin will not be with his team when the Red Storm take on Syracuse after the passing of his father, Cap, the school announced Sunday afternoon.
Cap Lavin is a member of the University of San Francisco Hall of Fame and played guard for the Dons in the early 1950s. He was honored at halftime of San Francisco’s win over St. John’s on Dec. 4. The San Francisco Chronicle ran a short feature detailing the basketball-centric relationship with his son on the day prior to the ceremony.
The St. John’s coach is reportedly headed back to California and assistant Rico Hines will take over major coaching duties, along with Gene Keady, Tony Chiles, and Darrick Martin.
The Red Storm make a tough trip to the Carrier Dome Sunday and late news broke that the Orange would be welcoming forward James Southerland back into the lineup after the senior won an appeal and was granted his eligibility. If St. John’s is able to pull the upset without Lavin on the sidelines, it will have won seven of its last eight games and tied for fourth in the Big East.
Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. ET.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)