Feb 11, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Andrew Smith will likely miss Butler’s next two games with an abdominal injury that he suffered against George Washington on Saturday afternoon.
Here’s the statement from the program:
Smith was inadvertently struck in the abdomen during a scramble for a loose ball in the Atlantic 10 Conference game. He continued to play, but later indicated discomfort to the Butler athletic training staff. Further examination revealed the need for medical treatment.
Losing Smith could be costly for the Bulldogs. He’s their biggest and most physical interior defender, averaging 11.4 points and 5.4 boards this season.
The Bulldogs will host Charlotte on Wednesday and pay a visit to Fordham on Saturday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)