Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Right foot, fifth metatarsal fractures. They’re spreading like the plague.
The same day that a report comes out that Memphis’ Antonio Barton fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, Oklahoma announces that freshman guard Buddy Hield suffered the same injury in a victory over TCU, 75-48, and is also expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Unlike Barton, however, Hield’s injury will require surgery.
It’s an unfortunate break for a team that’s been on a bit of a roll lately. The Sooners beat Kansas at home 72-66 on Saturday before rolling the Horned Frogs on Monday night.
Hield has been a bit of a stat sheet stuffer this season, averaging 8.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 84.8-percent from the free throw line in 26.8 minutes per game for the 16-7 Sooners. He finished with eight points, two assists and two steals against TCU.
Without Hield, senior Stephen Pledger will have to carry more of the load in the starting back court. Expect fellow freshman guards Je’lon Hornbeck and Isaiah Cousins to get increased minutes. Both have played in all 23 games with serious stats.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)