Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Right foot, fifth metatarsal fractures. They’re spreading like the plague.
The same day that a report comes out that Memphis’ Antonio Barton fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, Oklahoma announces that freshman guard Buddy Hield suffered the same injury in a victory over TCU, 75-48, and is also expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Unlike Barton, however, Hield’s injury will require surgery.
It’s an unfortunate break for a team that’s been on a bit of a roll lately. The Sooners beat Kansas at home 72-66 on Saturday before rolling the Horned Frogs on Monday night.
Hield has been a bit of a stat sheet stuffer this season, averaging 8.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 84.8-percent from the free throw line in 26.8 minutes per game for the 16-7 Sooners. He finished with eight points, two assists and two steals against TCU.
Without Hield, senior Stephen Pledger will have to carry more of the load in the starting back court. Expect fellow freshman guards Je’lon Hornbeck and Isaiah Cousins to get increased minutes. Both have played in all 23 games with serious stats.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)