Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Right foot, fifth metatarsal fractures. They’re spreading like the plague.
The same day that a report comes out that Memphis’ Antonio Barton fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, Oklahoma announces that freshman guard Buddy Hield suffered the same injury in a victory over TCU, 75-48, and is also expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Unlike Barton, however, Hield’s injury will require surgery.
It’s an unfortunate break for a team that’s been on a bit of a roll lately. The Sooners beat Kansas at home 72-66 on Saturday before rolling the Horned Frogs on Monday night.
Hield has been a bit of a stat sheet stuffer this season, averaging 8.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 84.8-percent from the free throw line in 26.8 minutes per game for the 16-7 Sooners. He finished with eight points, two assists and two steals against TCU.
Without Hield, senior Stephen Pledger will have to carry more of the load in the starting back court. Expect fellow freshman guards Je’lon Hornbeck and Isaiah Cousins to get increased minutes. Both have played in all 23 games with serious stats.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (11)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)