Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Right foot, fifth metatarsal fractures. They’re spreading like the plague.
The same day that a report comes out that Memphis’ Antonio Barton fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, Oklahoma announces that freshman guard Buddy Hield suffered the same injury in a victory over TCU, 75-48, and is also expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Unlike Barton, however, Hield’s injury will require surgery.
It’s an unfortunate break for a team that’s been on a bit of a roll lately. The Sooners beat Kansas at home 72-66 on Saturday before rolling the Horned Frogs on Monday night.
Hield has been a bit of a stat sheet stuffer this season, averaging 8.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 84.8-percent from the free throw line in 26.8 minutes per game for the 16-7 Sooners. He finished with eight points, two assists and two steals against TCU.
Without Hield, senior Stephen Pledger will have to carry more of the load in the starting back court. Expect fellow freshman guards Je’lon Hornbeck and Isaiah Cousins to get increased minutes. Both have played in all 23 games with serious stats.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)