Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Right foot, fifth metatarsal fractures. They’re spreading like the plague.
The same day that a report comes out that Memphis’ Antonio Barton fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot, Oklahoma announces that freshman guard Buddy Hield suffered the same injury in a victory over TCU, 75-48, and is also expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
Unlike Barton, however, Hield’s injury will require surgery.
It’s an unfortunate break for a team that’s been on a bit of a roll lately. The Sooners beat Kansas at home 72-66 on Saturday before rolling the Horned Frogs on Monday night.
Hield has been a bit of a stat sheet stuffer this season, averaging 8.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 84.8-percent from the free throw line in 26.8 minutes per game for the 16-7 Sooners. He finished with eight points, two assists and two steals against TCU.
Without Hield, senior Stephen Pledger will have to carry more of the load in the starting back court. Expect fellow freshman guards Je’lon Hornbeck and Isaiah Cousins to get increased minutes. Both have played in all 23 games with serious stats.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)