Feb 11, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Game of the Night: No. 10 Kansas State at No. 14 Kansas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
We may still be more than a month away from the start of March Madness, but it’s hard to imagine much more riding on a game than there is tonight in Lawrence. The Jayhawks are coming off of a three-game losing streak, having their offensive issues supplemented with confidence issues that have put them in a position that we’ve rarely seen out of a Bill Self-coached team: second place in the conference standings. That’s right. Kansas, who has won at least a share of the last eight Big 12 regular season titles, is currently sitting a game behind in-state rival K-State for the Big 12 lead.
That should give you a sense of just how big tonight’s game is. With a win, the Wildcats would move two games up on Kansas with seven left to play. And those final seven games aren’t exactly a murder’s row. They get Baylor twice and have to make a trip to Oklahoma State. Beyond that? A lot of ‘meh’, which means that Kansas State is one win in Lawrence away from having the Big 12 title within their sights.
The Phog will be rocking tonight.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Old Dominion at Delaware (7:00 p.m. ET, NBCSports)
Since firing head coach Blaine Taylor, Old Dominion has notched a win at Drexel and taken CAA leader Northeastern to overtime. Tonight, they visit Delaware. This Monarch team seems to have something to prove to the CAA. The Blue Hens better be ready for a fight.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) No. 15 Georgetown wil host No. 18 Marquette tonight in the Big Monday opener. There haven’t been ten coaches in the country that have consistently churned out winners like Buzz Williams. Every year, he loses a handful of pieces that make you think his program is ready for a rebuilding season. And by the time Big East play roles around, you realize that all he needs to rebuild in non-conference play. It will be interesting to see how the Golden Eagles handle Georgetown’s zone. They struggled with it the last time these two got together in Milwaukee, where Marquette survived when Greg Whittington missed a free throw with 2.3 seconds left on the clock.
2) Oklahoma will host TCU, who knocked off Kansas last week. The Horned Frogs then proceeded to lose by double-digits to West Virginia.
3) Don’t expect to see Sacred Heart visit Bryant of Central Connecticut State play Quinnipiac, as the northeast is still digging out from Winter Storm Nemo.
4) There are three teams sitting with two losses in the SWAC. All three — Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Southern, and Texas Southern — play tonight.
5) Norfolk State and North Carolina Central are both undefeated this season in the MEAC, but they won’t play unless they meet in the conference tournament title game. That said, both teams will take the court in league play tonight.
- No. 18 Marquette at No. 15 Georgetown (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 10 Kansas State at No. 14 Kansas (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Kennard is the No. 19 recruit in the Rivals top 150.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes averaged 15.6 points per game last season, shooting 43.4% from the field and 42.4% from three-point range.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
How can Nebraska build on their surprising, successful 2013-2014 season?
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (4)