Feb 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
There’s no real question that Vander Blue is the primary scorer for Marquette. His 15 points per game justify that.
Monday night at Georgetown, Blue scored seven on 3-of-9 shooting in a 63-55 loss to the Hoyas, his worst scoring output in Big East Conference play and lowest overall since a six-point in a 49-47 loss to Green Bay on Dec. 19. It was also the last time Blue finished in single-digits scoring.
That right there will tell you how valuable Blue is to this team, offensively.
Blue has done his thing in the big games this season, win or lose. Against Florida, he dropped 20 in a loss. At Pittsburgh, he scored 22 and had 19 in a loss to Cincinnati. Don’t forget 21 in a close loss to Butler. Just because, he dropped 30 in a win over South Florida.
Monday night was a prime example that Blue has to be on his game if Marquette hopes to make a run in the Big East tournament and get a decent seed in the NCAAs, Blue has to be the guy who played well, even in a loss, against the Gators (he was 8-of-14 from the field and 2-of-5 from three) and play less like he did against the Hoyas (3-of-9, 0-of-4).
Fortunately, the home stretch for Marquette favors them. Road games at Seton Hall, Villanova, Rutgers and St. John’s — all winnable — flank home games against Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame, all of which could or should be ranked when they go down. Blue will need his big-game talent for all of them.
He didn’t get off to a great start with seven at no. 15 Georgetown.
There are other scoring options. Devante Gardner’s 12 points are a nice compliment. Jamil Wilson scored 13 in the loss on Monday and averages 8.2 per for the season.
But the team runs through Blue on offense. It has to if the Golden Eagles want anything to do with the late postseason in the middle of March.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)